LA2A vs DAOC.........compression characteristics???

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lowfreq

Hey all,
I'm trying to decide on which of my projects I zone in on next. Limited $$$ means 1 project get's my attention while the other wait in the shelf for a while. ::)

I've got a LA2A half finished (just needs audio transformers/tubes/case), but I'm wondering if it's going to be much different from my DOAC compressor (which I love, and use all the time)

So those who have got both, are they that different from each other? I know the T4B is what people seem to rave about........
Or are you just using the DAOC where you would an LA2A??

I have plenty of other half finished projects to work on..................

funny you ask this today :)
are you a native german speaking member in Franks forum who asked me the same question (LA2A versus D-AOC) today ???

however, I won't comment.
I'm a stupid technician, I can measure the gear, but my ears ...  ;D ;D ;D
I'm death and blind and only have luck with PCB designs :D

but I'm very interested in this question too.
there are quite a few people here who build both, let us know.

from the technician side both units use the same topology and a similar concept ...
at the end it will be like with the PM670 - some will like it, some won't :eek:

I have built and used both and although topology is similar I find them to sound completely different... might be an obvious observation but both have a place in my mix and tracking rack as they both can sound great on different things. Sorry for stating obviously facts but hey if your almost done with the la2a might as well finish it as you can always sell a completed unit

[silent:arts] said:
funny you ask this today :)
are you a native german speaking member in Franks forum who asked me the same question (LA2A versus D-AOC) today ???
Nope, not me...... I'm from New Zealand, and the only language I can speak is english........

and I will not edit death to deaf here ;D ;D ;D
only since Kubi has a better english than (or is it then ?) me doesn't mean anything,
and death and or deaf is right at the moment. I will survive however.
btw, if you read "Mutter Forum" there it means www.groupdiy.com too  ;D ;D ;D
Peter would say Bollocks ...

however, coming back to the thread title,
I would be interested in the thoughts of people who have build both too.
for your problem Pucho is right, if already nearly finished, finish the LA2A first.

For my taste, DAOC is definitely faster and more transparent than the 2A. But the 2A compression character is magic. I say finish your LA2A first and be a very happy man. Then, finish the DAOC. That´s what i did.

But, i can´t live without both !

Pucho is on the money there. I already have a working DAOC which I use all the time.

I've always wanted to have an LA2A, but if they're not that different then I'll put my cash into another project

Today I mixed a song with D-AOC and LA2A. They sound different.  I used LA2A in bass and D-AOC in elec. guitars.  I love D-AOC in guitars, you can hard compress without sounds bad.
Of course,  attack of D-AOC is a lot faster than La2a.  Because that I use La2a in bass, T4B attack sounds very good for this, and big low end.
My case:  D-AOC  *edcors  /    LA2A *sowters

Two different sounds in my opinion, I love both  8)

Finish the LA2a!!!  This compressor changed the way I work.  I love the DAOC, don't get me wrong.  The LA2a does things to vocals that can't be duplicated.

Best. Project. Ever.

I havnt got a DOAC but can say that tracking vocals on an La2a is one of lifes true pleasures. Everybody agrees its the go to bass comp and it is, but vocals are like no other copressor I have ever used.

Old thread bump.

I'm very interested in doing a DIY LA2A.  I already have some Hairball 1176 Rev A's done, and the SB4000 and SA3A are "in que".  I want to do a LA2A mainly for Vox and maybe for Drums (the 1176's are killing there!).

Which of the available DIY clones might be up my alley?  I would LOVE to do a 2-LA2A (stereo) - but I'm not sure how crammed it gets in there.  Do any of these clones have a component kit or a Mouser BOM?  I'm still learning lots about DIY, and I'm not quite wise enough to know to pick "part a" or "part b" for a more authentic LA2A sound if I'll be "self sourcing" all of the parts (again - mainly looking for a killer Vocal limiter).

I'm researching the forum, but there appears to be quite a few of these LA2A clones out there - all with slightly different characteristics.  Which one is an easier build with most of the guess work removed for a noob-ish DIY'er?  Say something along the lines of the Hairball/mnats 1176 kits?

Thanks so much!!!  I'm reaping the benefits of my hard DIY work - thanks in no small part to the efforts of the lovely members of this forum  :)

8)

I've just finished the dual LA2A style box.

The easiest, best value and most useful build I've done.

Highly recommend it.

Am also half way thru a D-AOC too. Same transformers as the D-LA2A.
Jensen input, Carnhill output.

And finished a dual Poorman recently. Doing another in a channel strip.

Guess you could say I'm a Silent Arts fan.  :)

alexc said:
I've just finished the dual LA2A style box.

The easiest, best value and most useful build I've done.

Highly recommend it.

Which one is that, exactly? 

Where would the Drip LA2A fall in your opinion?

I have lots on my plate - but I'm itching to tackle a 2-LA2A or even a mono LA2A early in 2011 (might even use NOS or OEM T4B's)

Thanks for your feedback  8)

Latest posts

Back