Pye

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strangeandbouncy

Compex is great for me, but Pye is outrageous. there is no comparison they are so different. Pye chops the waveform at @ 100kHz, ignores some of these chops, and smoothes the result. Amazing technology for the time! and is a "power" compressor, not a voltage compressor, or so I have been led to believe(?) i paid £25 for three of them in a rack incl power supply ex BBC - HA HA HA! sadly, only 2 are working now. but they get serious abuse every day. How does one describe them? They are Hard, but never harsh. i use them to toughen up vocals, level bass, suck ther F@@k out of a drum sub-bus, they make gtr amps enormous, and most recently to distort the living daylights out of the Bright component of my vocals ala Lawrence Horn at Motown( you know that trick? - just ask if you don't!) In short, i cannot fault them. I only wish I had a few more. I used to own another pair, (Only£15 each ex Thames TV) that sounded very different, but the action was unmistakably the same. My BBC ones have a fixed 40dB mic amp that can be switched into the circuit that are awsome on DI'd bass for instance.

All the best,

Andy P

Andy,

If you've got one not working, perhaps you'd be into letting someone local who's in the group here gather some info on the unit, with the potential of figurin out what's up with your bad unit.

and yes, that price truly is a crime =)

Regards

ju

back to business, how does the chopper work? I can see how the sampling would work, but how does the audio get controlled by it? There is a special chip or transistor that does this?

dave

general cocensus amongst the myriad of techs who valiently tried to fix my baby was that something was amiss with the input/output attenuator ladder network. Believe me, they are SO complicated. Downright impossible to fix . . . unit dissapeared somewhere along the line. probably at some repair shop. i was so drugged outta my brain at the time, that i don't remember. on the straight and narrow now tho' i'm happy to add! - Beer is good tho"

Andy P

I thougt I remembered somebody at the AES show that is selling a re-issue Pye, but I might just be on crack.

No, I wasn't on crack, here it is! (jeez cj, did you take a picture of every damn both? no, just the cool s**t!)
Great focus, ehh? just call me Ansel.
:razz:

pye_1.jpg

Wow!

Can you remember who is making it?

Could you possibly let me have schemo? the one i am going to re-possess is a bit different to my model . . . .

Many thanks,

Andy P(ye)!

I forget whos' making it. Winston, did you see it? I can check my AES directory. Maybe there is a clue there.
PM me an email address and I will send it along.

cj, did you take a picture of every damn both? no, just the cool s**t!)
Great focus, ehh? just call me Ansel.
:razz:

cj, clear enough to tell a story! I would sure love to hear one of these,
or two.....
great pics :thumb: :guinness: :guinness: :guinness:

Lance

Latest posts

Back