how easy or hard is it to build an 1176 limiter with no electronics experience?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
leadbreath said:
just do it

if it works ur in luck, if not consider fixing it as ur apprenticeship!!!

I'd agree with this and soooo many of the other comments here. We don't make this stuff to save money, we make it because we want the experience and the feeling of fulfillment when we make something that sounds good and is useful in our other hobbies.

My first (and currently only finished) build was an 1176 with the mnats boards. Between the big 1176 thread in the Lab and mnats' own website there is everything you need. It's not enormously complicated but is enough of a challenge as to not be dull.

However, I will put my usual comment that I make to anyone who is just starting out in this fascinating world of DIY audio or any sort of electronics.

BE SAFE

Most of the projects in and around this site run on mains power. Proper power earthing and safe working practices are essential.

Don't touch it with mains connected and the lid off.

If it doesn't work as you'd expect, disconnect the power, connect your meters or whatever, power it up, note the numbers, then disconnect the mains before moving the meter probes. Also, keep an eye on your power supply smoothing caps, they hold their charge for a while and although not particularly harmful, a shock from them will hurt and make you curse.

Working on anything when it is powered up is a very bad idea. It is really only ever undertaken by the VERY experienced or the unbelievably stupid.

Matt... good luck on whatever project you choose. Have fun with it, be safe and don't be afraid to ask here for help.

C

Yeah do the REV D! I just got my pcbs a month ago. We could touch base and see how the builds are going. The reason I joined this forum is because I wanted to further my knowledge in electronics and figure out why neve circuits sound so damn good (st. ives trannys). So far I've built four perfectly working preamps, and the 1176 rev d. is my next build, and then onto the s800eq. I never knew how to read a schematic or wtf ohms law was. Who cares about Georg Ohm, he ain't helping me troubleshoot this compressor. You gotta ride this bull out, learn how to read a schemo, wiring diagrams, and so forth. Dude, just build the 1176 comp. You'll be stoked with the knowledge you obtain from this build. Good luck!!

I hope I didn't sound discouraging.

If you are interested in diy, do SOMETHING. Work it out.

Mic pres are a good place to start. You sound like an addict waiting to happen.

DO IT!!! THAt's THE ONLY WAY TO KNOW IF YOU ARE CUT OUT FOR DIY.

Whereever you choose to start, find THE THREAD on whatever project you choose and read every post on it.  Even if you don't fully get every word.  You'd be surprised how often any snags you could run into have already been covered here.

Absorb. 

mushy said:
I hope I didn't sound discouraging.

If you are interested in diy, do SOMETHING. Work it out.

Mic pres are a good place to start. You sound like an addict waiting to happen.

DO IT!!! THAt's THE ONLY WAY TO KNOW IF YOU ARE CUT OUT FOR DIY.

Whereever you choose to start, find THE THREAD on whatever project you choose and read every post on it.  Even if you don't fully get every word.  You'd be surprised how often any snags you could run into have already been covered here.

Absorb. 

hey, basically, you guys are all great. what a really encouraging forum. I was half expecting you all to tell me "duh? get outta here!" I've spent the last two evenings now drooling at some of the builds on here. Amaaaazing!

Would an La2a be an easier build? It appears simpler? Or am I just showing my complete noob naivity?!

Cheers guys, looking forward to getting my sources together for stocking up my new 'electronics lab'!.  I quite fancy doing a build in the same colour scheme as a Pultec EQ1a - always loved the look of those?! (Woah there Matt! don't get ahead of yourself!)

Seriously now, I am thinking i'm going to go for a 312 to put in my API lunchbox. Seems the natural start point.

Matt

New Soul Rebel said:
Would an La2a be an easier build? It appears simpler? Or am I just showing my complete noob naivity?!

Not a good first choice !! IMO...........they can give shocking results to the inexperienced .....your wallet will take a hammering as well  ;)

New Soul Rebel said:
Seriously now, I am thinking i'm going to go for a 312 to put in my API lunchbox. Seems the natural start point.

Now your in the right ballpark...........also take a look at the SSL9K.......excellent for first builders....and a very good pre

Check out the Drips La2a at www.dripelectronics.com

I did this at the same time as the 1176. I bought the 1176 PCBs, then the La2a PCBs and then bought the parts together to save on shipping and built the 1176 and La2a at about the same time.

I found the cost to diy to retail ratio better value on the La2a even when compared diy costs to second hand resell value also. I would never have been able to afford or justify buying an La2a because of funds but I have always wanted one ever since my quest for a world class vocal sound and now having one in my possession made me realize what the big deal was regarding the La2a on vocals! Same goes for the 1176. Chaining the La2a and 1176 on vocals sounds great! The negative side is, now I have no excuses for producing crappy recordings!

The La2a cost a little more than the 1176 to build but I found the Drips La2a easier and more enjoyable to build.
- The build manual is well written for a newbie which contains pics, diagrams and BOM references.
- You do not have to or recommended to read a gazzillion posts to get started which can be intimidating, frustrating, etc. Its pretty much follow the manual.
- You do not feel intimidated when posting a question on the forum or to Drips encase your question is not worthy of an answer, so you look forward to doing the build at your own level and pace and ask questions that you feel you need to
- Drips so far has been really helpful when it comes to issues about his builds I have noticed. He doesn't look down on you or mock you.

I was recommended the pico and GSSL when I first wanted to get into DIY, to help me ease into DIY and improve my skills and see whether DIY would be something I would like to do.
I could have done it and it is a very good recommendation, but it wasn't the unit I wanted to spend my time and money on. Like I said, money was an important factor why I got into this and my eyes were set on particular units.

If you do not have a utility compressors in your setup, I would go with the 1176. If you already have compressors that you think can cover an 1176 like a Distressor for example, then I'd go La2a. If you have a pre that sound like an API then I would probably go with a pre-amp of different flavour to expand your arsenal, like onlymee is coming out with this 1073 500 series. It looks very promising. If you have money to learn, then build a unit which may not be something you have your eyes set on but can learn from.

This is just my perspective on it.

Hey New Soul....welcome to the forum.

I built a dual 1176 from mnats boards, and even though it wasnt my first build I still found it quite challenging (I had done other easier "kits" like JLM baby animals etc).

The wiring stage is lengthy and the calibration is quite difficult if you are still just coming to terms with what each part of the circuit is actually doing. Callibration can make a massive difference to how the unit behaves (and can have you thinking that you have done many things wrong during your build).

There is however a huge amount of really well written documentation out there, with most issues and common mistakes covered.

I think that a mic pre, or maybe the GSSL is easier than the 1176.

I came here as a noob to DIY, and I still ask dumb questions, but ususally there is many answers for questions already here on the forum - you just have to spend the time to dig out the gems. There are many very knowledgeable people here, ask intellegent and polite questions and you usually recieve intelligent and polite answers.

good luck,
Mac

As everyone has already said, just go for it!

Research, research and be methodical with the build. If necessary, buy some stripboard(veroboard) and some cheap resistors to practice your soldering skills if you need to develop this skill? It can be quite frustrating to see shiny pcb traces lifting by overheating or lots of dodgy soldered joints.

Check, check and check again, take your time. Mark off components as you fit them and generally start with the shortest to the tallest with regards to height from the board. Break your wiring down into easily manageable chunks and again, practice on a cheap lorlin rotary switch rather than something more costly.

As with alot of diy, it's usually a case of transferable skills and an eye for detail regardless of whether you're fixing the car, building an extension, plumbing in a radiator or building your 1176.  :)

Chris

ColinS said:
leadbreath said:
just do it

if it works ur in luck, if not consider fixing it as ur apprenticeship!!!

I'd agree with this and soooo many of the other comments here. We don't make this stuff to save money, we make it because we want the experience and the feeling of fulfillment when we make something that sounds good and is useful in our other hobbies.

My first (and currently only finished) build was an 1176 with the mnats boards. Between the big 1176 thread in the Lab and mnats' own website there is everything you need. It's not enormously complicated but is enough of a challenge as to not be dull.

However, I will put my usual comment that I make to anyone who is just starting out in this fascinating world of DIY audio or any sort of electronics.

BE SAFE

Most of the projects in and around this site run on mains power. Proper power earthing and safe working practices are essential.

Don't touch it with mains connected and the lid off.

If it doesn't work as you'd expect, disconnect the power, connect your meters or whatever, power it up, note the numbers, then disconnect the mains before moving the meter probes. Also, keep an eye on your power supply smoothing caps, they hold their charge for a while and although not particularly harmful, a shock from them will hurt and make you curse.

Working on anything when it is powered up is a very bad idea. It is really only ever undertaken by the VERY experienced or the unbelievably stupid.

Matt... good luck on whatever project you choose. Have fun with it, be safe and don't be afraid to ask here for help.

C

Safety first! Got it.

I managed to fix my Alesis 3630 today. I replaced 4 potentiometers. it now works perfectly.

Look, I know its rediculously 'newbie' but i'm still chuffed! It works perfectly now.

This is addictive!

I am looking at some 312s for my lunchbox!

Latest posts

Back