Converlutin' rootin' tootin' Reverb Sampling. . .

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strangeandbouncy

Hi,

I am just back from visiting a VERY famous former recording location. I would love to tell you where, since I am still buzzin', but i ought not at this point. I have an idea to immortalise the ambience of this space, and sell it for charity, if the current owners are willing. I have never "sampled" an impulse response before, and would welcome any advice any of you worthy gents can proffer. HOw do I do it? starter pistol, swept sine wave or what? what speakers, should they point upwards, etc etc. Is there some dedicated software, and what format is best to then sell to the clammering masses? is there a universal format? My TLSpace takes data from just about anything, i believe.

God, I'm excited! I can't wait to tell you where I've just been! I am waiting hopefully for permission from the current owners, who are really really sweet. They are very private, so they might not welcome the attention. Keep your fingers crossed for me/us!

ANdyP ;D ;D ;D

I have made samples for altiverb.... I have done some gear reverbs and some live spaces. I prefer to use a sinewave sweep.  For altiverb you do 1 channel at a time. I usually will do 100 sec long sweep which can be generated with the altiverb sine sweep generator. then I record those sweep and export those files. then take those files into their convolution processor and out comes a reverb of that space. sweeps are most accurate but also make bigger memory intensive verbs so you can't use as many.

Hi Pucho,

this is a very short RT . . . . . I just found Logic's Impulse response utitility programme already installed on my computer! DOH!

Kindest regards,

ANdyP

Hi Andy,

Looking forward to hearing about your experience. I love what can be done with IR and have been meaning to get into doing this for some time.

I'm sort of surprised that sharing of IR libraries doesn't happen more.

Good luck!

Stewart

I'd like to make some of these also, i occasionally design/install art installations in some quite wacky sounding places, wind turbines, bunkers etc.
would be great to have a fast mobile setup with my HD4 to capture the ambiance.
How good does the speaker need to be? Do you have to kinda 'saturate' the space volume wise?

yeah mine were hr824 mk2s.  i left em in my "control room" (the first bedroom) and put an omni mic in the dining room, we have all hardwood floors and high ceilings, and the result was useful.  That was only mono though, I'd like to pull the speakers out into the living room and throw up a couple mics to make some stereo IR's.  

I turned mine up quite a bit, i put earplugs in so it didn't hurt while i captured it since i had to sit in front of them almost.  I guess it doesn't hurt to crank the source, since if you don't, you have to turn up the mic pre gain which is gonna make it more noisy and bring up the nasty ac rumble and other crap (at least that i have going on in my house) which might make it sound worse.  I didn't spend enough time playing with it though to see what might effect it and how (logics ir tool that is).

I think the key with the signal chain is to have your speakers be very flat across the freq spectrum you want to represent, and then the mic needs to be the same along with the mic pre, just to be accurate however (capturing some flava is different of course).  The hr824 mk2s can hit pretty low (32hz is the beginning of the rollof?), and are almost dead flat, I used a studio projects C4 SDC with the omni capsule.  I don't know how flat that is, but i like the way it sounds.  I'm definitely gonna experiment more when I get a free day (never), since i've always wanted to do this as a teen, and now its so damn easy!

Back