anyone know where I can purchase an edac crimp machine?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pucho812

with the way things are coming down the pipe in the tech shop might be time to upgrade and get the mechanical crimp machine vs the hand crimp tools. anyone know where to actually order one of these puppies other then talking to edac directly?

well there arm muscles would be larger on one arm anyway from other activities. :D

I have a system that works well where I can push down on the crimp tool while it rests on my leg and that works nicely but I just just can't shake the feeling of moving faster with a crimp machine. Maybe a rental is in order. We can rent them locally but I don't know all the details

pucho812 said:
with the way things are coming down the pipe in the tech shop might be time to upgrade and get the mechanical crimp machine vs the hand crimp tools. anyone know where to actually order one of these puppies other then talking to edac directly?

Try the Kirsten PP3. www.crimptech.co.uk/productpages/Kirsten_PP3.html
I've used these machines for the last 15 years, and they are beautiful. The die sets can be changed for most types of contact.
Easy to set up, easy to use, repeatable.

12volts said:
pucho812 said:

Try the Kirsten PP3. www.crimptech.co.uk/productpages/Kirsten_PP3.html
I've used these machines for the last 15 years, and they are beautiful. The die sets can be changed for most types of contact.
Easy to set up, easy to use, repeatable.

well we only crip the edac/elco's and the DL's but that looks awesome. Do you have an idea as to what it cost?

The Kirsten PP3 is about $3000. The cost of the die sets varies but typically $2000.
Yes it's a lot of cash, but the machine will strip and crimp 600 - 1000 wire ends per hour with absolute repeatability, day after day.
Although initially expensive, there after, only the die sets need to be bought. The company I worked for started with one machine and one
die set for 'D' type contacts. In the space of two years it had become 4 machines and 8 different die sets. It revolutionised the way we worked
but what I can't stress enough is the quality of the stripping & crimping on a wide range of contact sizes. A properly set up machine (easy to do)
is sublime to hear and work with.

Frank

The problem I have always had with the "intern" route is that I spend too much time with QC before and during the job, and then looking for oddities during the testing.  There is an institutional aversion to anything not "in-house", but you should seriously check prices for 3rd party wiring assemblies.  Even if they do one side of something and you do the other on-site.  There are "economies of scale" that actually make it cheaper AND quicker.  I am not an institution, so I have to make the choice to wire a stage box or walk on the beach.  To cost my time to make it properly would kill the job, so I farm it out, go for the walk, and charge T&M to install and test it.  Sometimes the time factor decides- do I want to make 36 dsub assemblies in 14 days?  Even when I buy materials in bulk I cannot match the quality at the price, especially when I expense the "opportunity cost" of carrying inventory.

I currently have a studio improvement job in "fab" for me with all sorts of assemblies including hundreds of tinned "normal" wires.  Some guy wired the patchbays in a private studio and did not normal monitors, reverbs, externals, etc.  But he DID take the time to shrink over every wire soldered to the bay!  I can hunt (BEG!) for the next gig somewhere while someone else is making things exactly to my spec.  The wiring gets done over two weeks and I can install it over a couple of days.  I love the zen of mass production wiring, but a walk in the woods is pleasing to my family.
I use Redco for their high quality and great prices, which is not much help to you, but give them a call because they must know of a competitor closer to the Pacific- ProCo perhaps.  There have to be fab companies near you that are competitive.  At least to try costing a job or two- you will be surprised.
Mike  

I know what you mean. yes there are fab companies. Cost to making is not the issue, we have the time  and so forth. I'm just trying to  speed up production without having any of the medical issues that can come with. I much rather get those from playing drums ;)

Pucho, I remember Pac Rad used to rent them pretty cheap if you bought the pin reels from them. Yale did too. Are they still around? I think Bitree might rent them too...

Crusty2 said:
Pucho, I remember Pac Rad used to rent them pretty cheap if you bought the pin reels from them. Yale did too. Are they still around? I think Bitree might rent them too...

ah yes yale. Sadly they have been no more for many  many many moons. They were the best. pac rad rents a machine but it's always unavailable.

Back