single rail power supply with Discrete op-amp?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strangeandbouncy

Just wondering,

Is there any way of running a discrete op-amp, like the Forssell 992/3, off a 48v power supply? it would be much cheaper than +/-24v, and give you phantom to boot . . .

ho hum . . .

Andy P

Any opamp can be run at single supply - you just need to offset it's inputs and outputs to work referred to an "artificial" reference between rails..

Jakob E.

AC-couple inputs and outputs and connect all points that would normally go to ground to a well-filtered reference sitting at half the supply voltage. Make sure this reference can supply any needed current; in many instances, all you need is two resistors (as a voltage divider) with a filter cap.

Hi Gyraf!

an honour to meet you!

- Begs the question, why do we use +/-24v? and need a further +48v for phantom?
Any info on offsetting the rails wouls be v greatfully recieved . . .

Andy P

Hey Andy... When you met NewYorkDave, what did he look like?

I always imagine NYD to be a hundred years old, three feet tall and a long white beard slung over his shoulder... :green:

peter

I think I need to update the rogues gallery.

Peter,

no, that's Santa Claus, currently appearing at a shopping centre near you! I'm sure that NYD won;t give me what i want for Xmas - (Helios console, loads of tube mics, . . . . a HIT . . . . .? - Us kids are SO greedy these days . . . . ) Anyhow, I don;t have a chimney, and all my BIG socks have holes! If he does turn up, I'm sure i can find a mince-pie and a glass of Brandy or two! and i promise to sit on his vereable knee and be good!

Seasons greets,

Andy P

ps It's also a great pleasure to meet you too, Sir!

Imagine a 6 foot tall, 225 pound Kojak, and you'd be close.

225 pound for an NYD??! bargin! i'll take 2 at that price :green:

kojak4.jpg

Back