Solid state Pultec style passive EQ question (transformers)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fallout

My plan is to build a Pultec style passive EQ using Franks PCB layout. However, I'd like to make a DOA version (gainstage) per the drawings drpat posted a while back. I don't have Triad HS56's for the input and outputs transformers. My question is, has anyone used the Sowter 3603's in place of the HS56's? How do they sound? Also, does anyone have any other suggestions for transformers? Thanks!

-jay

Those sowters are pure crap, get rid of them as soon as you have a chance: http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=38533.0

Haha, nice! I guess I'll try the sowter for at least the input. I'm thinking that i might cobble up an api 325 type line amp for the gainstage and use a profile 4804 for the output. Chrion, are you building some passive EQ's as well?

-jay

Hey Grant, been a while since we crossed paths. I think it was the Cinemag group order way back when. I've been away from the diy scene and missed a lot of cool stuff. I didn't stumble across that thread by the one and only uncle CJ. Very informative stuff indeed! How did you make out with your API clones?

-jay

Back