Why does part finding have to be such a PITA...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riggler

Man. My wife broke our scanner/printer/copier thingy with physical force. OK, so I open it up and find the only problem is a physically smashed ceramic resonator. It took a week to figure out what the part was since I've never seen one before. Luckily some awesome people on here knew what it was.

Okay, not bad, need to find a 400kHz 3-lead ceramic resonator. This printer is a year old. Shouldn't be hard. Heck somebody said "Yeah it's just a 400kHz resonator"

Mouser - nope.
Digikey - nope.
Farnell - nope.

ANYWHERE ---- nope. So I get ahold of Murata. Props to them, very cool that they actually looked at my picture, called me back and let me know that it is a 400kHz resonator. BUT, out of production -- no replacement.

So I've got this $250 piece that needs a $1.00 part that I can't get!!!

I'm sure there is an electronics junk yard that has those by the 1000

you know according to US law they have to stock those parts for something like 7 years someone has to have them somewhere

You went off course  ;)  The Murata catalog that you were linked to had a picture of your part on the 1st page! The datasheet does explain the trailing digits...  if they are really 732, then its a custom spec., otherwise, if it is actually T32, then it's a standard part.  It is clear from the datasheet that 3 legged parts are MHZ parts.

Another way to have gained some insight would be to look at what it's clocking and see if KHZ or MHZ make more sense  ;D  You might also look at what interfaces are supported by the device and see if they can be divided down from the suspected frequency.

As far as searching goes, when you know what something looks like it is often more productive to search for images rather than sites or documents.

A better picture would be waaaayyyy useful next time.  :p

Time to design your own 400 kHz clock circuit to feed into the chip... just make sure you input your clock into the high impedance pin. Sounds like fun... There is no law that you have to use the original design there.

JR

Sorry but it definitely is a 7. Murata confirmed it and that it's a 400kHz piece. I didn't have a way of taking a better pic of something that small. Now to make a clock circuit, if I can fit it in the machine when putting it back together will be key unless I can get lucky and replace existing components. Then on to learn all about clock circuits, so I need some form of oscillator, a crystal, right? PLL circuit? Whole nother world! I'll get the chip number from the IC it feeds.

Don't give up!  Just when the last door is stuck you have to finess it to get it open, and get to the next set of doors.  Ya gotta admit that with these internets parts searching is a total cake walk.  Include telecom in general. Just 20 years ago you would rack-up 100's of dollars in long-distance bills and not get anywhere as close as you are now.
Did you try searching surplus vendors?  Google is certainly not the end.  The widget is out there, even if you don't see it on the 20th google search page.  Get less specific and search the sites themselves.
Perfect case in point for me was an old relay where "endless searching" of the part # and style yielded no results.  Then I searched on sites found from a "surplus electronics" search and found it.
Mike
PS: physical force?  Either switch her to decaf or suggest a switch from kick-boxing to yoga ;)

I'll bet there are lots of scanners in junk piles... they seem to be the original disposable product. You might be able to salvage a resonator from some scrap pile somewhere.

I still think it would be fun and educational to roll your own clock.  You can make one with a couple CMOS gates.

JR

I hate sourcing parts from online. the picture isnt always correct, or they substitute, or you find out what spec is off only when you get it delivered. then you have to hope your company has an account, blah fricking blah blah.....

jeez, I had to find shrink tube and the website search gave some 1700 matches. I was trying to find something better suited for the job than "whatever they happen to have" at the surplus store in town. I gave up after a few hours of hitting "next page" and went to Skycraft and they had some that would work (4 sticks perfect, but needed 5, so all cuts were tight) and some a little too small..... argh!

And it totally starts screwing you when you need to set up anything serial - you really sometimes understand these
commercial jobs that are "nothing special". Suddenly you have some entire product line you've designed everything
around get canceled...or like you say...substituted (even worse).

At least one thing I'm happy about is to have a big Conrad Electronic right where I live, featuring my friend
Ronald the über-freak. When you say you want an ST micro he'll go "Ahaa yeah SGS-Thomson, franco/english
combined corporation, how many do you need?"

That is a tough one to find. I tried a little while for ya man..  :)

Hmph. It's like all the new low frequency resonators only require two leads, whereas
their high frequency cousins mostly come in three. Wonder what the third leg does?

Junk pile it is?

Why not post the make and model of the printer/scanner? Someone is bound to have one languishing somewhere that they could just pull the part or even the whole PCB from.

Don't know what I would do as a repair guy without old units lying around...

It seems from the documentation

3-pin: http://www.ecsxtal.com/store/pdf/ztb_ztbfr.pdf
and 2-pin: http://www.ecsxtal.com/store/pdf/zttr.pdf

..that the difference between 2-pin and 3-pin versions is the addition of the two internal 25-500pF capacitors.

Why not use a 2-pin version e.g.:
(digikey, first google hit at "400kHz resonator" - http://parts.digikey.com/1/parts/403843-ceramic-resonator-400-khz-ztb400p.html ) - and mount the two capacitors yourself?

Jakob E.

gyraf said:
Why not use a 2-pin version e.g.:
(digikey, first google hit at "400kHz resonator" - http://parts.digikey.com/1/parts/403843-ceramic-resonator-400-khz-ztb400p.html ) - and mount the two capacitors yourself?

...which is precisely what I suggested in riggler's thread in The Lab.

Folks, please don't start multiple threads on essentially the same subject; it only wastes time and effort of those trying to help.

JDB.

pucho812 said:
I'm sure there is an electronics junk yard that has those by the 1000

you know according to US law they have to stock those parts for something like 7 years someone has to have them somewhere

UK law, companies have to support products for up to 7 years after the last unit was produced. (could be give or take a year)

Sorry guys, really just meant to rant about finding parts in this thread! Anyway, I will be doing the two-fer approach. You guys rock man!

Back