Universal Audio 2192 AD/DA:any comments & a newB questio

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orson whitfield

I want to know what you all think about this piece. I am hesitant about it because what history do they have with the digital world of gear manufacturing?

Also, I want to throw in a newbie question here: How do you know when your supposed to measure voltage in DC or AC while ambling around a PCB? Is it clear by what the schematic shows?

Ive used that 2192 and think its a great sounding box. The rugged, non hierarchical menu controls are great. I think someone around here may have had a hand in the design of this one.

Helsing

FWIW, the UA 2192 A/D D/A outperformed the new Rosetta by Apogee. We did an A/B comparisson through killer Nelson Pass amps (250 lBs. each!). The UA clearly sounded better.

Carry on ...

[quote author="orson whitfield"]

Also, I want to throw in a newbie question here: How do you know when your supposed to measure voltage in DC or AC while ambling around a PCB? Is it clear by what the schematic shows?[/quote]

I'm not an expert but for starters all audio itself is measured in AC and it's measured at very low voltages, but usually traced with a scope so you can see the wave. Outside of that on the power supply of things if you look somewhere very near the power transformer if you see a rectifier circuit or a group of diodes then chances are you need to measure in DC because that's where the AC is converted to DC. Most recording gear is powered with DC unless you're powering the filaments of tubes and sometimes that's DC too. This kind of stuff is usually chapter one in most starter electronics books.

Some interesting stuff in the new edition of SoS about UA and UAD card
Along with some very nice pictures of UAs test benches and personnel
Regulars you know what to do for more info...

Back