question about super regulators and psu regulator selection

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dramadisease

is there any real bonus in using super regulators or other discrete regulators? granted any amplifier is just modulating dc from the psu, im really curious if at this point in regulator design if theres any audible benifit from using a more complicated regulating system for solidstate preamp units.

for me personally im going to be building a few 24/48 supplies and a few +-15 and +-18 supplies, and im going to be making them external so i dont have to worry about stray magnetic fields screwing with the noise floor. but i figure it doesnt hurt to ask this question and to try to make the best power supplies i can with the lowest noise floor possible. especially since one of the units is 2 germanium preamps, and ive been told germanium transistors are a bit more finicky.

a couple years ago a freind in florida was doing a bit of work for a well known mastering engineer, we both worked at a repair shop together. anywho, the engineer was trying out some DOAmps from mr. Forsell. my freind was asked to throw something together with them and see how they sound. he was a total hifi guy, so naturally he built a stereo preamp. getting to the point, apparently mr. Forsell had mentioned a few regulators that he should use instead of the standard 78/79 series that are available for cheap. i dont remember what they were (i would guess LT1085CT and LT1033CT from checking out Fred's schematic collection, but i dont know for sure), but my point is that from that conversation i gathered the assumption that "all regulators dont sound the same" (pardon the phrase).

can someone shed some light in on this thought for me? maybe some personal exp. in the situation?

thanks much
-bryan sours

Latest posts

Back