Talema PCB mount toroidals

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benidubber

Hi!
Did anybody made a talema's blue toroidal transformers PCB layout?
this is the datasheet, but I can't understand why are there more than 30 pins!!!
will I have to drill 30 holes and just connect 5 of them?!
I can't understand this drawing.
thanks
sandro

Attachments

• talema PCB.gif
    talema PCB.gif
    143.7 KB · Views: 81
The ones around the perimeter look like they are just for mounting purposes. Perhaps you can bend and break them off, or drill a hole for each? I think Talema makes them without all the pins though..

-jay

The ones around the perimeter look like they are just for mounting purposes.

I've thought the same, but if you take a closer look, some of those perimeter pins are labeled with same number of the windings.
maybe they are the actual windings connections..
I would really like to try those transformers, they cost less than a standard open toroidal transf and they come with screening.
the only pain is to draw a new PSU board with transformer footprint without having one here!!
I'm talking about the 18-0-18 7VA version (49mm X 49mm)
bye!!

I'm 99% sure that only the pins that apply to the windings will actually be on the xfmr. It seems that the drawing is very generic. if you look at the side profile picture under the footprint picture...it doesn't even have the same number of pins.

I've had one of these before and it had 8 pins total.

It looks like the majority of the pins shown are for custom builds. The figure in the middle of the drawing is schematic and not physical. The pin numbers on the schematic correspond to the matching numbers of the physical pins on the perimeter. To generate the footprint you select a power rating and find the outside dimensions and then calculate the pin positions referenced to that outline.

A quick Google image search for Talema turns up this:
tranformador_back.jpg

Not the some number of pins, but it confirms the idea.

Good luck  ;)

benidubber said:
Hi!
Did anybody made a talema's blue toroidal transformers PCB layout?
this is the datasheet, but I can't understand why are there more than 30 pins!!!
will I have to drill 30 holes and just connect 5 of them?!
I can't understand this drawing.
thanks
sandro

the right pins should be those indicated in the primaries and secondaries , i've used talema tras.
But attention with the high voltage! It's very important that the AC voltage go into primaries and not into  secondaries, the primaries have a very higher resistance than secondaries.
Moreover see the image on the top of the trasformer's chassis about primaries and secondaries as reference before apply the AC voltage, please.
Using these trasformer it's easy make errors so it's important, before apply AC voltage, apply a low voltage to test the PSU in its AC input!
For a good test a low AC voltage, to apply to the PSU's AC input, might be 6 - 9 - 12 VAC, test the voltage in the secondaries and not after the diode bridge.
Attention with the high voltage!

Pier Paolo

Hey Pier, did you get that one backwards once?

Like - I can imagine some major kaboom if you do...

Talemas rock. They are numbered IIRC such that for us
design fooz we can count how many raster spaces are in between.

Stef actually even ended up melting the core on one because he
short circuited it...sleep deprivation, I'll tellya.

Lemme see that datasheet. Anything that uses Talema gets supported ;)

EDIT bla what am I saying of course, like Ptown says, generic.

Some block trafos are also numbered as if they all had the things
in one row, got it mixed up.

this the trasformer's bottom side photo with the pin indications.

Attachments

• talema asdf 4.JPG
    talema asdf 4.JPG
    139.9 KB · Views: 28
this is the trasformer's topside

Attachments

• talema asdf2.JPG
    talema asdf2.JPG
    114.4 KB · Views: 15
yes, but this is the layout for 220-240V AC voltage input only.
Moreover, the secondaries are connected in series.

livingnote said:
Well...what do you need it to do?

you have just done a very good work  ;) it's a simple example to use this trasformer.

but if you want to do more, you might do the 110 VAC version starting from your image.  :)
thanks

Pier Paolo

Yeah - we had it such that you could re-pin it with a jumper/solder bridge to accept
110V/220V - I just simplified it here to see if the old footprint was still up to size ;)

What you guys working on?

livingnote said:
Yeah - we had it such that you could re-pin it with a jumper/solder bridge to accept
110V/220V - I just simplified it here to see if the old footprint was still up to size ;)

What you guys working on?

I'm working on a fully trasformerless DOA's based pulteq eq, a mic preamp (not 312), and a summing amp.

Pier Paolo

Latest posts

Back