On Comparing Discrete Op Amps ...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carl_Huff

Anybody here taken the time to compare the performance of the discrete op amps that are out there? For example Fred's JFet design versus a Hardy or API ??

What discrete op amp designs are here on the forum and how do they compare? I seem to remember somebody had a 990 PCB. I am toying with the idea of doing an EQ project to get some experience with them.

Best Regards,
Carl Huff

Yeah. I swapped some original 1731s with some 992s in a passive mixer and the results were that the 992s were faster, higher, lower and deeper. And that is with the 992s in a less than optimal setting (15v., high input impedance and transformer out...) I kept a 1731 on one side and the 992 on the other for the test. I'm pulling the 992s out of my mixer to make some preamps and will most likely drop in some Hardy 990cs.

If you are looking for a DOA EQ, look to Fabio for his SonteK clone. He also has three flavors of 1731/2520 and you can stuff the kit anyway you want.

http://www.thediypill.phx.com.br/diy_sontec.htm

:sam: :guinness:

Latest posts

Back