Digital Switching Cards for front panels

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

If some parts are SMD on a board do you prefer

• to buy a pre-programmed device and do the SMD programming yourself

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Have you solder on the few SMD devices for us, then we'll solder in the thru-hole parts

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Offer both options

• Make the board wider, with thru hole componenets. (already available)

• Total voters

Rochey

White Market Member
Hello folks,

I recently saw a SSL9K Mic pre, 4 of them in fact, in a 1U enclosure.

I thought to myself, how can I squeeze the mic-pre-front-end controller into a vertical 1U strip?
(http://www.expataudio.com/expatshop/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=6)

Trying to get 3 switches, plus a microcontroller, the power supply (3.3V from the system 15V) onto a small card that's 1.5inches tall, and as narrow as possible (to get as many in a case as possible) is a tall order, and one I think I can only solve with some SMD components.

Now, I've seen the attitude towards SMD change here over the last few months, where people are starting to consider it an option.

So, the question is -- would you prefer expat audio do the hard work in mounting the SMD parts (leaving the easier thru hole stuff for you), or would you prefer to solder them yourself?

Rochey said:
onto a small card that's 1.5inches tall, and as narrow as possible (to get as many in a case as possible)

Great idea! in either case, achieving a small size can be very interesting. They could also serve these switches to control the "Differential Signal Relay Board"?

Latest posts

Back