april 15'th taxes are due in ther U.S.A.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I addressed my envelope to "Infernal Revenue Service".  Even if I had put no postage on it, I am sure it would get there.
They REALLY need the dough these days. . .
And New York State?  With their .32% additional MTA tax they are a total disgrace.  The $200 I had to pay was a 20% chunk on top of my state taxes!
But I know what to do now.  Every time I see someone sitting in their school bus, short bus, welfare wagon, whatever, I walk up and take a picture with my phone.  As they start their vehicle I yell "you work for me so GET BUSY!!!".  Dang but they speed-off.
pictures get sent to the proper management.
Mike

Sure, it hurts.

But if people REALLY don't like big guv'mint, they can always go and live in any paradise where there are no taxes, and no government to fund...

Truly lovely places like Somalia, for example.

SSLtech said:
Sure, it hurts.

But if people REALLY don't like big guv'mint, they can always go and live in any paradise where there are no taxes, and no government to fund...

Truly lovely places like Somalia, for example.

I really don't like big government, nor did our founders.

I think the big government lovers should leave... Move to Europe where big government is embraced, or at least tolerated. (SSL can stay)

November will be a good start at turning the expansionist tide.

Government is just like anything else, too much is too much.

I do like:

Older whiskey (darker beer),
faster horses (cars),
younger women (but not too young),
and more money (less taxes).

JR

PS: I converted my IRA to ROTH back in '08 but the way things are going they may try to tax that too. I guess shifting to a consumption based tax will accomplish that, charged taxes coming in and going out.

JohnRoberts said:

Which founders?  There were a lot of them.  They all had different ideas.  That's what made this country great.  Seems to me they LOVED big government, especially since the one they were rejecting was a government of one.

And yes, it will be good to get rid of some of those dirty Republicans in November who singlehandedly inflated our government over the last 12 years and sent us into spiraling debt.

mushy said:
JohnRoberts said:

Which founders?  There were a lot of them.  They all had different ideas.  That's what made this country great.  Seems to me they LOVED big government, especially since the one they were rejecting was a government of one.

And yes, it will be good to get rid of some of those dirty Republicans in November who singlehandedly inflated our government over the last 12 years and sent us into spiraling debt.
p-madison-sml.jpg
p-hamilton-sml.jpg
p-johnjay-sml.jpg

I suggest reading the "Federalist Papers" for some insights into the though process of the writers of our constitution. They studied every form of government up to that point in time and very much opposed a strong federal role in matters better served by local government. The constitution is important for the powers it doesn't give the federal government. While we specifically revolted against a monarchy, even that was not a simple dictatorship. Our government was really a blank sheet of paper exercise, and far more than a simple reaction to one rejected system.

Yes, the republicans are not without blame, but the excesses of this last year plus are off the chart and hard to fathom. Even harder to pay for.  As I've said, don't fall for the head fakes (speeches and press), watch his feet. For every step in the right direction, multiple steps in the wrong direction (IMO).

Of course opinions vary, and if you are happy with the current direction, good for you. I am not in that group.

JR

IIRC the IRS is entirely illegal.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I like to pay taxes if it helps, but when I see that taking
5% off pentagon spending could make free clinics everywhere...gaaah.

Yes and now they are floating trial balloons to institute a VAT tax.. it wouldn't be so bad if they rolled back other taxes, but this is surely in addition to...

We have to stop spending when we run out of money... they should too.

arghhh..

JR

Well I always kinda reduce it to the thing where once the tax bottle is opened
in gov't, it's not really anybody's fault but you get the situation where you
better stuff your budget good or you get it cut next year, and everything
just goes from there, like, no ill will even necessary ;)

It just grows.

JohnRoberts said:
Yes, the republicans are not without blame, but the excesses of this last year plus are off the chart and hard to fathom. Even harder to pay for.  As I've said, don't fall for the head fakes (speeches and press), watch his feet. For every step in the right direction, multiple steps in the wrong direction (IMO).

Of course opinions vary, and if you are happy with the current direction, good for you. I am not in that group.

JR

I've read the federalist papers.  The federalist papers are NOT the constitution.  They were propaganda pieces reflecting the views of ONE portion of the founding fathers. Opposition to these ideas were JUST as instrumental in forming our present government.  The best example of which being the Bill Of Rights which is the one thing that separates us from the rest of the world (as well as chimps and slugs).  Jeffer

As far as the excesses of the last year goes, I'm trying to figure out what those are?  The Trillion dollar war in Iraq in the name of imaginary WMDs and supposed connections to terror plots? No wait, that was Skippy who did that.  The Trillion dollar tax cut for the rich that benefited almost no one and was never offset within the budget?  No wait, that was Skippy who did that.  Bailouts? Nope that was Skippy's policy.  Creation of the second largest government agency whose main purpose is to make us all feel better? Skippy. Wall Street deregulation leading to the second biggest economic crisis in our countries history?  Skippy (and Clinton and HW and Ron and Tricky Dick) Not to mention all of the intrusions into personal liberty we were able to enjoy for 8 years.

No, I'm not happy with the current direction of the country but I'm also not under the delusion that government just happened sixteen months ago as people like crybaby charlatan Glenn Beck would have you believe.

At some point you are going to have to stop blaming Bush for everything. I don't watch Glen Beck but plenty of CSPAN and pay attention to world events to form my own opinions.

Just for the record the Republicans tried to reign in Fannie and Freddie for years before this housing bubble burst and the bills were tabled over and over by the Democrat committee leadership, until finally they were too sick to ignore and they finally put them into government conservatorship. Funny how almost overnight they went from Barney Frank and Chris Dodd saying they were healthy, to sticking the fork in them. Now they are expanding the balance sheets of these walking dead entities because they are the only mortgage market makers out there. I thought conservatorship meant an orderly dissolution, I guess not just now. 

Yes the beginning of bailout nation started under Bush's watch with bridge loans to detroit to bump that into the next guys term, but detroit didn't get that way overnight. They got soft from decades of government trade protectionism, and under that protective umbrella cut way too generous deals with the unions. Detroit was a ticking bomb waiting to pop, and GM/Chrysler are not fixed yet. Though the unions are suing GM (us taxpayers?) for a better deal.

I will leave it to the historians to determine if the Iraq we all end up with was worth our investment in blood and treasure. It and Afghanistan would have cost less (blood and bucks) if better managed, but that is all too easy to argue in hindsight.

TARP was initiated under Bush but in cooperation with the next administration who would administer it. It quickly turned into something other than the intended mechanism to establish market prices for troubled assets and the crony capitalism took off in ernest. The recent decision to not return TARP payments to the treasury but recycle them for more spending was not approved by the original bill and is another spending perversion.

The healthcare bill is worse than a train wreck... It doesn't address the root problems, it just expands entitlements while simultaneously reducing payments to service those entitlements. Only the government would believe they can reduce cost by paying less. The healthcare sector has for years been making up the difference by charging those outside the system more. By drawing everybody into the system, and paying even less, the math just doesn't work. Experienced doctors are running for the exits, and recent medicare cuts actually reduce the funding for residencies needed to bring new doctors into the system. This gang is not shooting straight, no matter how good they feel about their effort.

Yes I am aware that there was an active public debate about the constitution and even bill of rights. I think there's a book called the anti-federalist papers (that I haven't read). I am in favor of a constitutional convention now to propose a spending amendment, that would limit it to some sustainable percentage of GDP... we can't spend ourselves wealthy by borrowing. I see a huge qualitative difference in governance from this recent administration.. they didn't start the spending orgy, but took the game to a whole new level, and this can't go on without negative repercussions. 

Even the Dodd proposal to end too big to fail, by building up a huge bail out account, doesn't even pretend to do what it says. We need the big companies to know they will disappear when they screw up, not have some rainy day fund waiting in the wings to bail them out again. 

JR

PS: of course I could be wrong... and every thing they promise will work out just like they say...  and I have some MS swamp land I can sell ya... if you believe that.

Back