Variable phase pot for subwoofer

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheGuitarist

I know there are a few topics on variable phase already, but most half abandoned the idea because it doesn't do it across the frequency spectrum properly or something.

But home theatre subs have them in abundance!! And even subs that are less than $100! So it can't be a very complicated or expensive thing to do. I'm thinking of doing it to a sub at home that has a 0-180 phase switch, but variable would make placement SO much easier. Obviously with it only need to affect low frequencies (and then mostly just stuff thats below 125hz)

Any thoughts or schematics?

TheGuitarist said:
a 0-180 phase switch

*cough* polarity reverse switch *cough*

;D ;D

I haven't tried these all pass filters on subs so I have no real life experience with it.
But the idea looks strange to me.
Besides the fact that what you actually want to compensate for is linear time delay instead of "frequency dependent delay", your sub will be roughly on the same distance only at your listening spot, move half a meter to the side and the low end is screwed up.

But so is your stereo image and freq response anyway. Maybe it works better in practice.
I just don't think it gets you as far as proper placement.

Latest posts

Back