Any computer virus experts in the house?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lassoharp

I just recently picked up a pretty nasty virus called m-i-r-a-r.  All of my efforts to scan it down and clear it failed so I took the computer to the local pros. 

Paid $50.00 for a professional removal, came home this evening only to find the computer is still infected!

I have no formal training in computers but I get the feeling that either the techs didn't do their job or my computer is now permanently infected and thus useless for any safe financial transactions.

Anyone have any experience (horror stories or happy tales) with this particular virus or anything similar?

Are there cases where trying to 'remove' a virus from an infected computer is simply futile?

Hi lassoharp,
For the record, which antivirus software were you using?

I am certainly no virus expert but in my experience in persiting cases
of infection, the best action is a clean re-install. You can then use a
program like Acronis True Image to keep regullar 'clone' copies of
your system drive to roll back to in case of trouble in the future.

I'm sorry I cannot be of more help..

from previous post....

with the following in order, the first 4 steps without internet connection:

1. run ccleaner. don't clean the registry.
2. malware removal on anti-malware (malwarebytes) + Boot if anything is found.
3. anti-virus scan + removal (software of your choice)
4. for example symantec/f-secure online scan after step 3. yes, second scan with different software.
5. run f-secure BlackLight rootkit scan (http://ftp://ftp.f-secure.com/anti-virus/tools/fsbl.exe)
6. SCAN YOUR EXTERNAL DEVICES - HD's and usb flash drives!

that _should_ take care of it. things to keep in mind: IE version, Acrobat Reader version and maybe a different account for admin + user. user account that has no rights to save anything to c: -drive... most home users don't have different accounts.

i think the link by prr should be one of the first steps here.

Thanks to everyone for the replies -

V9977 - I'm currently using Microsoft Security Essential (MSE).  I had been using AVG previously.  If it is not immediately manually opened at boot up the virus will disable it.  Yet even when I manage to have it open and the browser gets hijacked MSE can't "see it" with a scan.

Will probably be offline for a day or two.  I Had previously attempted to go through a detailed removal using combofix and numerous other tools via one of the good  computer tech sites.  The minute I downloaded their preliminary cleaning tools the virus bogged my computer down to a crawl and I was locked out of my email account.  Everything froze up. I wound up being sandboxed in a chess match where the only safe move was to shut down the system.  When I hit the off button a typical virus like screen flashed on and off with a message which I couldn't fully read but said something like "Aw, too bad we were unable to solve . . . "

Looks like I'll probably have to reinstall the operating system.

If it saves anyone else any grief - I picked this virus up on LimeWire, which I will certainly never use
again.

Latest posts

Back