Punchy EQ

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
this guy has all the punch you need. Just put him on your tracks.

img_115435875794.jpg

To call a eq punchy, I think it would need some nice distortion, that add some harmonics to the drum and some compression if hit hard.
Like a Helios, 70s Neve or Trident A. But to define punch is very hard. I belive its a mix/balanse thing. Its a subjective experience.
I think this belong in the brewery.
J

Well, I took my Chandler apart to see what's in there that I like... We got carnhill transformers and three coils that look like they came right out of a neve 1073.

It's pretty amazing inside, very pretty, the pcb is huge but it's very simple. It's an early one. The serial number is 00007 or something like that. I would love to DIY build a couple of clones of this and sell the ones I have. I'd actually like to do that with all of my gear. I'll take some pics when I get home.
Do you guys want to help me figure this thing out and clone this thing?
-mike

Ouch. Wade is a member here...and considering everything we've already put him through, i'd say it's probably not a great idea.  ;D

for punchy EQ i would build a transformer in and out unit

if you pick the right vintage iron, you can skip the EQ circuit between them and save dough.

desol said:
Ouch. Wade is a member here...and considering everything we've already put him through, i'd say it's probably not a great idea.  ;D

He'll have to start potting the whole case. I'm close and don't mind epoxy
fumes... Pick me Wade!!! ;)

So it's cool to diy other peoples stuff, but not if they are a member of this forum? Ha ha.
I'm laughing, but I understand. I love this wonderful channel so much, I'd like to have a console made entirely of them. Neve-y, but don't compress the transients too much. It's just a classy piece of art too.

securedownload-2.jpeg
securedownload-6.jpeg
securedownload-5.jpeg
securedownload-3.jpeg
securedownload-4.jpeg

im not sure if this worked, but i tried to post pics on here. is that how its done?

myker said:
So it's cool to diy other peoples stuff, but not if they are a member of this forum? Ha ha.
I'm laughing, but I understand. I love this wonderful channel so much, I'd like to have a console made entirely of them. Neve-y, but don't compress the transients too much. It's just a classy piece of art too.

no it's more of along the lines of we have not cloned or do not clone stuff that is in current production. But yet you could argue what about 1176's and la2a's and maybe even a GSSL? well the GSSL is loosly based on the SSL and works differently. THe 1196's and la2a's their patents, assuming there was one, have long since expired and for a long time were unavailable.

you wanna clone it, then go do it. No one is stopping you but I don't think you would get much help.

It's really hard to say, and ethics and law are completely different things sometimes.
For instance, people on this forum are cloning 1073's and 1084's as well as ssl eq's and compressors, UA devices which are currently in production. And done forget the API x12's. the people that own these companies sell to make a living. Is it fair to omit Wade from this chopping block, if it is a chopping block? How long does a patent last? A year? I'm not familiar.
I'm sure I won't clone this thing, especially for commercial purposes, but I will recap it. It is cool to have a guy like Wade who makes such dope gear be a member of this forum, wisdom from people like you guys is far more valuable than saving a few hundred dollars cloning something that I own two of anyway. But one of them I am having to turn up the volume much higher to be the same volume as the other one, and the pots are becoming scratchy. Hoping a recap will fix this.

Try building a Pultec variety with solid state make up gain. You'll be in the same sonic neighborhood as what you are after. All the information is laying around the forum. You could start tomorrow.

that sounds very cool, i still have to get my 1176 up and running, its my first SS compressor build. so starting tomorrow isnt an option, but thanks for your suggestion. pultec is definately on the list of things to do. the concept of mixing SS and tube to me is foreign, i still dont understand impedance and how to determine what to do about it. Im new to SS, im a tube guitar amplifier guy.
thank you

myker said:
that sounds very cool, i still have to get my 1176 up and running, its my first SS compressor build. so starting tomorrow isnt an option, but thanks for your suggestion. pultec is definately on the list of things to do. the concept of mixing SS and tube to me is foreign, i still dont understand impedance and how to determine what to do about it. Im new to SS, im a tube guitar amplifier guy.
thank you

Paul (Gold) is not suggesting that you mix tube and solid state...

The Pultec family of eq is basically transformer in> lossy passive eq network (made up of caps, resistors, inductors etc) > Make up gain amplifier (this can be solid state or tube) > transformer output

In certain variants of the Pultecs (the EQP1A3 if memory serves) the output amplifier is based on an API line amp very like the back end of a 312 mic pre amp.  Other DIY variants include strapping a Neve style output amp but it could just as easily be some cheap opamps.

if you decide to look into this search for posts by "Drpat", he's one of the Pultec gurus around here and has kindly posted a schematic for the solid state version I mentioned above.

Cheers,
Ruairi

WHAT???
i had no idea about that? i thought that i read it had a PP el84 output on it? maybe thats the LA2A? i read too much, cant remember what im talking about.
Now im deeply interested and now im spending and stockpiling more parts!
thanks for the info,
mike

myker said:
WHAT???
i had no idea about that? i thought that i read it had a PP el84 output on it? maybe thats the LA2A? i read too much, cant remember what im talking about.
Now im deeply interested and now im spending and stockpiling more parts!
thanks for the info,
mike

PP el84?  You may be thinking of a guitar amp of some sort for that bottle.  The Pultec uses a 12AU7 for the output, the LA2A a 12BH7.

Check out the gyraf audio site for some excellent DIY pultec stuff.

Latest posts

Back