Whistle Rock Audio - New 312 PCB with a twist!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
desol said:
pucho812 said:
looking good so far. If you ask me input pads are non conducive to making a loud record that will distort, and have to compete with other loud recordings that distort, in a market place where people buy the louder more distorted album because louder is better, in the minds....

If you really want it right, make the input pad variable... ALA JLM

Variable%2020dB%20PAD.gif

lol. Are you saying that loud, distorted records are good? 

I'm not sure i understand.  :)

Personally, i can't stand the sound of a smashing SSL. Maybe the odd time...
then i go back to 'Brothers in Arms'.

Preamp looks awesome Mike. Pad is another good feature.

Darrick

I was mearly saying that not having an input pad is a bad idea. However I did go about it in a very confusing rant about making distorted albums. Ignore all that and stick to the facts 

1. I think it should have an input pad

2. the input pad should be variable like the JLM audio one I posted.

Dang nabbit! I have an API board I haven't even started yet, and now a new one with HPF! I'll need to get one of these. Very nice!

2. the input pad should be variable like the JLM audio one I posted.

I was playing with my A2D tonight  and to be honest, I'm fine with just the -20dB. Or maybe a 0/-10/-20 dB option would be nice. Sometimes too many choices can be too many choices.

HPF would be most useful though - I miss having one on the A2D.

envelope said:
Looks excellent Mike, I would love build a pair of these. Your work is great.   :)

Thank you sir! I will have them for sale in a couple of weeks.
Hopefully we will get to meet this time around if you decide to get a couple of boards. ;)

Cheers,

Mike

(I posted this in my WM thread already)

This is what I received yesterday :)

ML12_PCB.jpg

I hope to have enough time to test it out today to make sure everything works as expected. They will be available for anyone interested afterwards. I will have some sort of part bundle (maybe kits) available too with the Grayhills and hopefully some Cinemag iron (to make life easier for my fellow Canadians :) ).

Cheers

Mike

Volker,

It's not another Hi-Z plugin format. It's not the same as the HI-Z plugin that you and Jeff have developed. What you see on the 500 series PCB is a simple way for me to proto some little circuits I've been meaning to play around with. I didn't have enough time or information about the HI-Z plugin format to readjust things right away.

Not to worry, I plan on changing the footprint to make the preamp 'HI-Z plugin' compatible ;). I'm also working on a add on HI-Z board for the ML12 rackmount version. The add-on board already has the HI-Z plugin footprint.

With that said, is there a simple break down of the HI-Z plugin format electrical guidelines? Is it only differential out? What is the circuit's recommended gain?

I hope that clears things up.

Cheers

Mike

Mike,

I just wondered. feel welcome to develop another HiZ plug-in.
would just be nice to have the same form-factor ...

mikefatom said:
Not to worry, I plan on changing the footprint to make the preamp 'HI-Z plugin' compatible ;). I'm also working on a add on HI-Z board for the ML12 rackmount version. The add-on board already has the HI-Z plugin footprint.

With that said, is there a simple break down of the HI-Z plugin format electrical guidelines? Is it only differential out? What is the circuit's recommended gain?
the HiZ plug-in format is freestyle ;D

Hey Mike,
I might be interested in a couple 500 series kits when they become available.  Thanks for developing another nice 312!

looks good!

not sure if you ended up going with a input pad? i think they are a good idea. i find the one on my VP25 very useful, not just to prevent clipping with loud sources (sometimes i run line levels though them!) but also because it seems to change the tone - similar to what ANdyP was saying earlier. i.e. when using passive guitars though a passive DI, the pad often makes the guitar brighter!

Thanks haima! The input pad has been added.  ;)

Btw, I'm waiting on a couple of special-order components to come in before I finalize the design. ;D

Latest posts

Back