Amek Mozart MZ11 channel RACKING?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meekie0

hi .

has anyone racked a Amek Mozart MZ11 channel
was thinking of try it myself.
any pitfalls or misery's

any help would be great

There was an outfit in NYC that did that to a console- 2 channel 3U rack units.  They cut the modules wide above the pre and below the EQ.  Sawed the boards and facias.  They used cosmetic plates over the hacked ends from the front and wired jumpers on the boards behind.  I think they cut the console motherboards and used them as well.  That was quite elegant.  They were a little rats-nesty but they worked.
The usual pitfalls- following and completing traces so that power and grounding remain intact.  They jumpered the insert.  The BICC connectors are a bit tight, but if you have some wiring experience, go for it.  You can wire them on pigtails and plug them in so no need for a mini motherboard unless you can get part of the console motherboard as well.
I think that the original Amek Mozart power supply can handle 2 modules :winkey:
Mike

I have not done it before but I would assume it would be possible aslong as you have the schematic.

I have just parted out a BC3 and I was thinking of the same for EQ modules on line channels.

I personally hate soldering to edge connectors or pins- I always dream that the little modules will be in harmony with their mother console in eventual electronic heaven.  [/harps] And, that is exactly what I have seen in so many hack rack jobs.  You could pick the last stop component on the PCB to wire to. 
Certainly if one takes a sawzall to a console module, the edge connector's integrity is a worthless concern. . .
You will need a better solder point than one of those BICC VERO pins, so go directly to the PCB.
Mike
PS: when will I see the first SSL 4K module like this?  Infidels!

meekie0 said:
hello sahbil

howyidayin!

what is a bc3, don't suppose you have a schematic

cheers thomas

Hallo Tam,

No bad.

BC3 is a Broadcast console. Unfortunately I do not have the schematics but I am going to purchase one from Colin (Audio Maintenance). He also has the manual for Mozart.

Regards.

Latest posts

Back