Racking McCurdy AP375 Preamps

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timjimbaker

Hello. I have six McCurdy AP375 Mic Preamp cards. They came from two control turrets from a couple of local radio stations (3 from each). This will be my first attempt at trying to rack up some gear. I ordered a power supply from jlm audio and it should be here in about a week. I finally got some documentation out of McCurdy. They were great about it but it took a while. I have a bunch of questions I was hoping some of you guys might have answers to.

Each preamp runs on +/-25vdc @ 100mA. If I want to power all six off of the same supply, what is the correct amperage? Can I just multiply 100mA by 6?

I would also like to add phantom power and both a 20 db pad and a polarity switch for each preamp. I found this schematic I was thinking I would use as a template. Should I wire it like this? I have also seen phantom wired into the center tap of the input transformer. Are there any advantages to doing it this way?

These preamps are probably not all that hot, I realize this. I am very into trying to rack these though. I think it is a good first project for me. I am wondering if anyone can suggest any mods that would improve the sound. Cap values or IC swaps etc... If any of you can make any suggestions for any of this, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to read my post. Cheers, TJ.

Hello. I realize this is a very old thread, but I have a couple of these cards I was thinking about racking up. Did you end up getting yours working? Any good?

Back