9k Balancing Board Question

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Siegfried Meier

Hey guys,

Do the 9k balancing boards convert unbalanced to balanced only, or do they also change the level?  I have a desk that has inserts at -2dbu unbalanced, and I'm wondering if these little boards will do both the job of balancing as well as increase the level to a standard +4.

If not, how can I do this?

Thanks!
Sig

I am not sure about the SSM chip, but the THAT 1646 has a level gain of 6dB, so seems to be just what you need. If you are using the THAT chip on the balancing board, replace the 51R resistor and the 100uF capacitor with a jumper and leave the 10k resistor out altogether.
Of course this doesn't change the level of the return part of your insert if you are also planning to use that.

I've actually measured the output level between the direct outs of the desk and the main outs (which are balanced +4).  The difference seems to be 2.4 dB measured in Pro Tools, so I really don't care too much about a small level drop like that.  However, the direct outs do hum, which is likely due to the fact that they're unbalanced.  It seems that I could likely just wire in these 9k balancing boards as is to fix my problem, yes?

Thanks!
Sig

Cool!  Keith, have you ever installed these balancing boards into any smaller desks that have unbalanced outs such as the SR?  Should be pretty simple, right?

I wanted to do the direct outs and the inserts on the console.

Thanks!
Sig

Latest posts

Back