New GSSL Layout Proposal - Anyone Interested?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruckus328

Hello to all.  I'm trying to find out if anyone would be interested in a new layout for the GSSL.  I just finished building my first GSSL and am thinking of doing a custom layout for my next one.  I know there a few other people currently working on thier custom designs, so I wanted to see first if anyone would even be interested in this before I spend the time on it.  This is what I am planning though:

Designed for a 1U rack.
All boards will be components on top side, double sided copper with plated thru holes, values and Reference designators silkscreened on board.
Jumper wires eliminated
Off-board (slightly redesigned) Power supply with incorporated bridging and rail filtering
Smaller main board (50% - 75%) smaller than current design.
Designed for use with THAT2180/2181 VCA's.
Second sidechain incorporated directly onto main board (with connector provisions to bypass)
Some resistor value modifications allowing for standard 1% metal film values, eliminating any higher cost resistors
Space allocated for using on board heatsinks on +/-15V Regulators
PCB mounted XLR connectors (although they can still be hard wired also if chosen)
Direct audio bypass using relays
Relay and wiring provisions for using 2-3 Illuminated Pushbuttons
Relays on dedicated additional 5V power supply
I was not planning on doing a HPF although I was planning on having connector provisions for easily connecting existing HPF boards.
Readily available Loren Switches - orientations on control board adjusted so d slot are in correct orientation with selected switches

So, it will be 3 boards in total - Power Supply, Main Board, & Control board - all designed for one panel and vscored

If anyone is interested in this idea, please let me know.  I don't want to spend tons of time on this if nobody will use it, but if it is of interest I will gladly move forward with it.  Also, if anyone has any ideas of additional features they would like to see, please say.

EDIT:
Do to various issues that were originally unforseen, I've decided to retain control of the gerber files for this project.  However, boards will be made very readily available to everyone as soon as it is complete.

Hallo Ruckus328,

seems like Igor is on it, he posted this earlier today:
http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=38924.0

I haven't read it in detail but it seems like similar plan.

Best

the idea is basically good , although Igor
is working on and presenting a more all encompossing version
If his  is adaptable for 500 series and 1RU
i'd say there's nothing more to do ?

thanks for the thought & effort though ,
anywhere else better suited or more needed
for helping  ?

Thx guys, I saw Igor was working on a 500 format version, but from what I could tell it seemed that it would have to have a lot of hard wiring for use in a 1U rack.  I could be wrong though.  Also don't know if he was planning on incorporating all of the features that I was.

I wish the normal GSSL would be "corrected" ... after 6 years, it seems about time. If you get this working, I'd be in for a PCB group buy. I'm not interested in HPF, thrust, crush/blend, and all that other stuff. Just give me a permanent turbo (and an easy to build/wire board) and I'm happy.

+1.  I'm wiring my Ultimate GSSL right now and its a mess haha.  More room for caps on the mainboard would be beneficial as well

pucho812 said:
bigger solder pads would be killer.

YES!  It will have those also.  And all footprints will have common lead spacings.

I think I'm going to go ahead with this.  I design/layout boards full time for a living, so it's not too much of a hassle.  If people want them, I'll have a decent sized run made, if not I'll run a few for myself and call it a day.  Either way it's worth it I think.

tomcat said:
and maybe a LED meter option. The sifam 14 are discontinued, so....

Good idea.  Those Sifam meters are rather pricey to begin with anyways imo.  Only thing is, this is something I haven't familiarized myself with yet.  Are there any changes that need to be made to the board in order to work with an LED meter?  Isn't there a LED meter board designed somewhere here on the board?  Are you just talking about being able to use it with my layout? - Or for me to do a new meter layout also?  Can someone point me to where I can get some info on what's already been done in that respect?

Have you checked the SSL Meta?

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=110

There are a couple links on there related to LED metering.

Mike

Thx guys, I saw Igor was working on a 500 format version, but from what I could tell it seemed that it would have to have a lot of hard wiring for use in a 1U rack.  I could be wrong though.  Also don't know if he was planning on incorporating all of the features that I was.
Nope. This will be world easiest wiring, as front panel PCB will be re-designed for 1RU as well.
I am interested to see your layout...maybe, something new :)
Some pics of 500GSSL-at Saturday.

Igor said:
Nope. This will be world easiest wiring, as front panel PCB will be re-designed for 1RU as well.

oh no, it's my fault!

for me on gssl without turbo and without dbx 202 it's not like the real console or gfx 384

Igor said:

Igor, my apologies, when I said "hard wired" I did not mean "difficult wiring", I meant "physical wiring".

Looking forward to seeing the pics and your final layout as well.

OK, I took a quick look into the LED meter board, very simple to do, and as far as I can tell there wouldn't have to be any changes to the main board (it doesn't know or care if you're plugging in a sifam or an LED board).  I didn't dig too deep into it becasue it's bed time, but upon a quick glance worst case would be a resistor change (I think) if you use an LED board.  Since the Sifam's are being discontinued, if finding an acceptable, easily obtained replacement is going to be a problem, I could incorporate the LED meter board onto my panel.  It's so small and simple that it shouldn't really add any costs, and if you don't want to use it, you don't have to.

ruckus328 said:
it doesn't know or care if you're plugging in a sifam or an LED board)
Exactly. I'd say leave the LED board off, and treat it like a meter. If you want one, then add it on, you know?  If you are feeling up to it, make a separate board, a PCB that small can't cost much. I'm all for the simple board in this case, the simpler the better. I think the idea of adding pads so that a HPF or other "mods" can be added by those who want them is great, but I'm thoroughly excited by the possibility of a new ssl build without all the mods.

most people are using behringer meters from Ptownkid, who has said that he will carry a sifam ppm lookalike in the "near" future, so my vote (if you care) is for separate LED board.

cheers, I hope this project works out!

Latest posts

Back