50's to 2010 party

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

livingnote

Hey guys,

I need your help - mom's having a big birthday party and we're looking for songs
to play, the general idea is making a kind of a musical journey from the 50's to the
present time, so you can see how the music changed gradually.

Here's my list so far:

Chet Atkins
The Chordettes
Chuck Berry
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Les Paul
Clapton
Beatles
Manfred Mann
Charlie Rich
Allman Brothers
Hank Williams
The Supremes
The Doors
Hendrix
Byrds
Banjo&Sullivan
CCR
Stones
Kinks
Airplane
Zappa
Knopfler
Sex pistols
Ramones
Massive Attack
Siouxsie and the Banshees
Morcheeba
Air
Thievery Corporation

Yeah...how bout you guys?

Cheers,

Lukas

Ike turner and the kings of rhythm - "rocket 88" which was said to be the very first rock song. I dunno about the claim

bo diddly

muddy waters

howling wolf

the byrds

the ventures

willy nelson

johnny cash

just about anything from stax records

bee gee's

zz top

the ronettes

the beatles

anything phil spector

I realize the objective is to play what you like rather what has been historically significant, but your list is very guitar and 50's 60's heavy.

No MJ?
No Madonna?
No HipHop?

Marley? kraftwerk? depeche?

Here's a dreadful list to steal from. ;)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billboard_Hot_100_50th_Anniversary_Charts#All-Time_Hot_100_top_songs

Well that's Mom ;) Born in Oklahoma in '50, grew up in Florida...

But gets crazier as we get closer to 2000..Depeche is certainly on.

Marley, you bet.

MJ actually pops up as number 1 when you hit "oldies" on LimeWire...

Limewire?
Watch out where the huskies go. . . .
Mike
PS: For a birthday party I have found that it is better to keep it very light and not historically accurate.  Most everyone here would hate a cheesy party DJ- but our families would love it.  I have learned to keep my comments to myself and do the "Funky Chicken".  My "Achey-Breaky" really $ucks, but I don't care!  My family doesn't know what musical bona fides are.  I listen to "Blue Dress" (Depeche or Screamin' Jay, take your pick) when I get home with the missus.

Uhh - is there something I should know? Haven't downloaded anything for like...well, historical, yeah.

Just wait till I pull Ween on'em at 1AM ;-)

Perusing that list left me with a surprising bit of trivia:

Who was the last Beatle to have a record in the #1 position on Billboard's Hot 100?

No, not Paul McCartney. It was George Harrison, whose "Got My Mind Set On You" made it for just one week, in 1988.

Yeah, I was surprised too.

Peace,
Paul

Meanwhile, add The Band to the list. Also the Grateful Dead and Loving Spoonful. And Springsteen. From 1950, the year she was born, the Weavers.

And for sure Otis Redding.

Peace,
Paul

The Cult / ...s.s.Sanctuary, Rain, Nirvana,
Sisters of Mercy / Lucretia.., Dominion, Temple of Love w. Ofra Haza
You could throw in a "Pretty in pink" /Psych. Furs to get the old ladies aroused .. and "Love like blood" /K.Joke to target their husbands
And Cure's "just like heaven" for ladies

Absolutelly don't forget Bad Brains' "Shes calling you" (good for bass-bins)

ps. get Iggy's blah-blah-blah (good for party) and bowie's lets dance (same) and kiss "was made for loving you"

Yeeha - and thanks for your mail, I'm way here in arranging this show...it's the 60th birthday after all.

Now I even have a theme - Back To The Future...Like - you know...you start out and then your Ibook
suddenly goes screwy and puts you back to 1955 and you have to get back to today...maybe even
some stage show with all kindsa period costumes, that would be cool...

Wow ok...now here just dug up this big old digital clock that was broken in the bargain bin at Conrad...
that could do a good "time circuit" impersonation...

Just for starters ...... off the top of my head ... in no particular order

Ry Cooder
Van Morrison
Beefheart
Radiohead
Led Zepelin
Joni Mitchell (anything from the "Dog eat dog" album)
James Taylor
ohhhhh... AC/DC  :O)

Latest posts

Back