The Ultimate Mixdown Box...MUAHAHAHAHA!!!!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

regularjohn

Just finished this monster!!!
A couple pics are blurry because you couldn't see the meter light with the flash, so I had to take em without a flash to see that blue glow!
DSC01829.jpg

DSC01817.jpg

DSC01823.jpg

DSC01813-1.jpg

DSC01833.jpg

DSC01835.jpg

An SSL-type buss comp with a 169-type EQ.  I designed my own pcb's, although the inspiration came from the gssl and audiox's 169 build, so thank you Jakob and Audiox!  I also have to thank Kevin of K&K Audio.  It's great having a transformer supplier 15 minutes down the highway from my house!!!  The 169 EQ pcb's are mono (you can see the two on the left side), the Sick Sick Sick is the buss comp pcb.
The buss comp incorporates several features that aren't on the gssl: 10 and 20dB meter scaling, meter calibration, ratio calibration, unity gain calibration, dual sidechain compression, Lundahl LL5402 output trafos, LME49720na opamps in the audio path, massive amounts of psu decoupling, DP3T toggle for the ratio, modified electrolytic and film cap values, and dual output paths: trafo or electronically balanced.

I made the eq pre or post compression switchable with 6pdt pushbutton switches.  The eq is true bypass-able.  The bypass on the comp is only a sidechain mute.  That way if you are only using the EQ, you still have the option of using the Lundahl trafos in the signal path.  

And of course, vintage dakaware knobs polished with car wax!!!

As you can see there is a shit ton of point to point wiring involved in this thing!  Not for the fain of heart.  I've thought about making these pcb's available, but I'll have to do some redesigning, because as of now I think they would only make sense to me with my semi-coded silkscreen labeling.  They'd need to be more universally accessible if I were to start offering them to all you crazy fellow DIY-ers!!!.

Very nice work!  Congratulations - that thing looks ready for business.  How long it take ya?

Thanks for the compliments, guys!  
Hi Arnau, hope all's well!  

I think all told it was maybe 20-25 hours of work between designing the pcb's and faceplate, and then doing the actual assembly.

I meant semi-coded because of the labeling for the threshold (+, F, -12), make up gain (0, E, +12), bypass dpdt switch (P1A, T1A, T1B, etc), meter scale dpdt switch (P1, T1, T2, etc), and also the labeling for the pot and rotary switch connections on the 169 pcb.  It all makes sense to me because that's how I labeled them on my schematics.  It might not make sense to other folks, though.  

Very interesting unit with superb frontpanel.

I'm in for pcb if you ever release them to lab members !

Back