Super Newbie Bench Power supply question

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeFFG

I know this is going to be lame...but I'm really new at this stuff.  I got a variable bench power supply... a Pyramid PS-32 LAB.

It has a positive and negative terminal and then a ground that is green that looks like an input.  So what is the usual way to use this?  Is there any particular gauge wire I need to use?  When do I use just the positive and negative terminals and not the ground?  How do I use the ground? Is there some special connector?

I simply cannot find any good info anywhere online about how to properly use a bench power supply like this.  I just need to know the basics.  I'm sure it's not that complicated.  Thanks!  Here's a link to the picture of it: http://www.cbradiosplus.com/shop/pc/catalog/pyramid-ps32-lg.jpg

It is a single output power supply. The ground is connected to the chassis, hence called the chassis ground. In other words it is connected to the mains ground. In another words the safety ground.

There are occassions where the equipment under test need to be isolated from the safety ground. This is called floating.

-V output is not connected to this ground. Which means the output of your psu is a floating type.

This does not affect your operation. If you are powering a circuit that you are testing, you just use the +V and -V as normal. But for some reason if you need to incorporate the safety ground to your circuit  then you use the safety ground connector.

In terms of the thickness of the probe wire; for small output currents  a normal probe like the ones come with cheap multimeters are o.k. But on occassions where you need to use full 5A current output, and most importantly for long durations, then make sure the wire is at least 1.5mm thick.

I just gotta say.....

Mike is not the only super-newbie here.  I'm one as well, and I might have asked the same question.

Latest posts

Back