looking for a patent lawyer in SoCal California

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arsmusic

Im looking for a patent lawyer for a none electronics acoustical instrument Im in OC looking to spend around $1,000 for filing, patent, and refiling if patent is turned down. please respond with the phone number of the lawyer to email.

Im in Orange County, CA,  need lawyer in OC Los Angeles, Indland Impire, San Diego, EXT

email:

aroomstudios (at) yahoo.com

Thanks, Brian

I have a patent lawyer in SOCAL that I used for my drum tuner patent.  Even with me writing some of the patent text, and doing the patent drawings myself, it cost me several times your budget. So I am reluctant to steer you to him.

The patent office does not discourage you from filing yourself.. The fees alone will eat up a lot of your budget. Then if you manage to get awarded a patent there are additional maintenance fees.

My guy was not cheap, but I didn't trust myself to write the claims section. Every word there is significant.

Good luck..

JR

I worked in a small engineering consulting company and we never successfully pushed an idea to a patent due to high costs, typically much higher than $1,000.
As a small fish in a big pond, maintain a patent notebook in which you describe your idea comprehensively and note when inventions happened. It is my understanding that this allows you certain rights with respect to the invention. It provides the basis for a patent as well, if you reach that stage in the process.

Well I just through out the $1,000 as I was hoping for something like this.  I talked to a few patent lawyers in the past few days.  One told me $2,500-$5,000 plus around $600 for filing fee's.  The other told me around $9,000 plus the $600 or so in filing fees.  So I was hopeful for something less. 

JohnRoberts, what was the ball park for your patent lawyer?

Thanks Brian

Found this firm. Might be worth checking them out as they advertise a flat fee.

http://www.oakwoodlawoffice.com/

Here is an article for IEEE Spectrum on DIY patent apps.

http://spectrum.ieee.org/at-work/innovation/doityourself-patents

Also you may want to consider filing a design patent if there is some unique design quality about your instrument. If its a new shape of a solid body electric guitar, for example, you probably wouldn't be granted a new patent for it but would qualify for a design patent.

arsmusic said:
Well I just through out the $1,000 as I was hoping for something like this.  I talked to a few patent lawyers in the past few days.  One told me $2,500-$5,000 plus around $600 for filing fee's.  The other told me around $9,000 plus the $600 or so in filing fees.  So I was hopeful for something less. 

JohnRoberts, what was the ball park for your patent lawyer?

Thanks Brian

My lawyer worked for a few hundred $/hr (I don't recall the exact figure or expect it to be the same now). The cost will depend on the complexity, how much work you can do yourself, office actions, or how much arguing back and forth you do with the patent examiner, etc.

If $1k is your budget you need to file yourself.

For some big picture discussion. A patent is just the right to sue, so don't expect to get rich with a patent, it is just one piece of the larger tool kit to manage a technology intensive business. The vast majority of patents are just expensive wallpaper (trust me, I've got 9).

JR

PS: re: DMP, Yes, you can keep an engineering notebook but entries must be dated, signed, and signed by a witness. These notebooks usually have numbered pages to better prove date order, but it still comes down to you and your witness's word vs. the other guy. The old myth about mailing yourself a certified letter is not generally accepted AFAIK. There are some low cost declaratory techniques where you can submit ideas to the patent office but these must be used in some thoughtful organized strategy, and at best might prevent some later inventor from stopping you from using your ideas.  Just having an idea in a notebook that isn't reduced to practice is just notes in a notebook, not inventions. 

Hey burdij thanks for the info about Oakwoodlaw There flat fee is $1776, plus $462 for the filing fees.  This actually sound really good, Im going to check some more but Im thinking about going with them.

One more interesting thing about this (for USA anyway) - I served on a federal jury for a civil patent infringement case. The plantif was an independent inventor who had acquired a patent. The defendent was a large company that produced the invented product which had been allegedly stolen from the plantif. There was an IP contract between the two parties.
Result? Lawyers, engineers, etc presented what they thought to the jury. All relevent documents were provided to the jury. But the JURY (7 ordinary folks including me) decided what the documentation said, who had a better case, and what $$ would be awarded. Lawyers didn't decide; the patent office didn't decide. This was a big revelation to me.
The result: the original inventor was awarded 6 figures in compensatory damages, and a multiple of that in punitive damage.

John, I agree... a well-conceived notebook (what, when, how) may be able to protect you from losing your IP, not stopping others from using it. But if you have this documentation, and you get a written contract in place with anyone you chose to disclose it to, (and obviously you don't enter it into the public domain, for instance on a DIY forum, haha) you have a chance to move forward with your invention, be it licensing, selling, etc... I think a patent really becomes necessary when you throw your invention into the public domain (i.e. start selling it).
The ballpark numbers I've heard are $10k for provisional, $100k for full. Niche markets would probably be less, however.

dmp said:
One more interesting thing about this (for USA anyway) - I served on a federal jury for a civil patent infringement case. The plantif was an independent inventor who had acquired a patent. The defendent was a large company that produced the invented product which had been allegedly stolen from the plantif. There was an IP contract between the two parties.
Result? Lawyers, engineers, etc presented what they thought to the jury. All relevent documents were provided to the jury. But the JURY (7 ordinary folks including me) decided what the documentation said, who had a better case, and what $$ would be awarded. Lawyers didn't decide; the patent office didn't decide. This was a big revelation to me.
The result: the original inventor was awarded 6 figures in compensatory damages, and a multiple of that in punitive damage.
It's nice to hear about the little guy winning, usually the legal costs will squash the small guy right or wrong.

There is a triple damages clause if the infringement was "willful", i.e. the infringer knew or should have known he was infringing. If an IP contract goes off the page (expires but parties keep working together) it is basically a jump ball for lawyers.

One of my sundry IP related tasks when I was working at a larger company was doing due diligence up front, when releasing a new product that was competing against another deep pockets company with a patent. You don't mind paying any royalties due, but 3x is a bummer. We probably spent more on lawyers to be able to prove we rigorously researched the possible infringement and didn't, than the OP here wants to spend total.

re: costs, you should be able to prosecute a simple US patent for less than $10k, but that is just the US. The last time I checked the EU is still requiring applications translated for every member country, then there's all the other countries around the world...  I used to get into disagreements with my boss whose name was on the building, that we didn't need to bother with patents in every country that has  three lawyers and a patent office.
John, I agree... a well-conceived notebook (what, when, how) may be able to protect you from losing your IP, not stopping others from using it. But if you have this documentation, and you get a written contract in place with anyone you chose to disclose it to, (and obviously you don't enter it into the public domain, for instance on a DIY forum, haha) you have a chance to move forward with your invention, be it licensing, selling, etc... I think a patent really becomes necessary when you throw your invention into the public domain (i.e. start selling it).
The ballpark numbers I've heard are $10k for provisional, $100k for full. Niche markets would probably be less, however.
I am not advocating the engineering notebook as definitive protection... it is a good discipline for a creative engineer, but if you are serious about an invention, write a proper disclosure document and get it witnessed by somebody who understands and will be around if you ever need him to be around. Then start saving money because if you ever go to court, that cost money. 

In the last year I have provided affidavits related to a lawsuit between my old employer and another name brand company over infringement of one of my old patents I got when I was working there.. I never heard how that turned out, it was pretty complicated.. I can't imagine a typical jury dealing with the nuanced way they tried to get around my patent.

Whatever, I got paid for a few hours work, but i would have just about done it for free... I really don't like people ripping off my IP, even if i don't own it. 

JR

Back