need a splitter for an unusual guitar

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emperor-TK

I'd like to make a slightly unusual guitar splitter and am looking for advice on the design.  I have a '64 Epiphone EA7-P guitar with two outputs (when using a multipin cable), each with their own volume pot.  I want to make a cable/breakout box with an output for two amps, controlled by the onboard volume pots on the guitar.  Most guitar splitters I have seen use a single buffer amp that feeds two isolation transformers (Geofex, Jensen, etc.).

What would the best approach be here, a buffer for each guitar output feeding a single transformer?

The schematic below shows the guitar to the left and the proposed "splitter" to the right.  I stuck a jumper wire in the guitar to fix the terrible problem with the "varitone on steroids" filter network that Gibson put in this thing.  The guitar had an anemic output with all tone controls bypassed.  The effects of the tone switches were also akin to what a first month engineering student would set, in order to show the instructor that he/she understands how to work a parametric EQ.  The tone switches are actually useful now, very subtle.

Modifying the guitar further isn't an option.  I realize the linear pot on the reverb send isn't ideal.

EA7Pmodsmall.jpg

It looks like two buffers rather than a splitter.  I think you can get away with just the buffer amps.  The transformers are a bit redundant, and those specific trannies are only good for 300-3.4kHz.  If you want to use iron for the true electronic isolation, upgrade to the Edcor 10k:10k.
Mike

+1 (Imo you need two buffers.)

Transformers are imo reduntant (per se), but you should re-think why/if you need them at all? If you plan on DI'ing, then they are useful but you would need 10k/600. If you plan on plugging two different amps, then they may break some ground loop.

Thanks guys.  The intended application is for two amps, so I thought the transformers would be useful for isolation.  10K:10K Edcors are cheep enough to try.

Eh... I see you have 11k resistors in your buffers, heh?

"MINE GOES TO ELEVEN". ...brag...brag...brag...

There's no obvious need for two 2.2Meg on the inputs.

I did not understand why 10K+11K gain set network until tv explained it "MINE GOES TO ELEVEN". Yes, the 11K gives only 0.4dB more gain but "11" is a magic number. (Ah, but Tweed Fenders go to 12, and I just got a box which goes to 16.)

The transformers ARE generally necessary because he will feed two amps which will "never" be on the same ground. MilliVolts of ground difference matters at guitar level.

The transformers are rated 300Hz with fairly lame drive and significant level. In fact they do well for guitar when whacked with chip-amps, 60Hz-22KHz. (This part is expertly plagiarized, a well-proven plan.)

Comments on 42TM018 and an alternate:
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=77148

>>>This part is expertly plagiarized, a well-proven plan.

Just to be clear, the opamp/transformer section was cut and paste from the Geofex splitter schematic, for the sake of discussion.  :)

>>> (Ah, but Tweed Fenders go to 12, and I just got a box which goes to 16.)

Nasty stuff...

Latest posts

Back