chrissugar

Some MILL-MAX alternatives
« on: December 06, 2004, 07:52:49 AM »
This thread was inspired by a PM received from Duka who asked me about MILL-MAX pins and sockets.
Unfortunately in Europe [especially here in eastern Europe] MILL-MAX is very hard to find so I looked for alternatives.
There is a socket and pin type in the Farnell catalog that is a good equivalent to the MILL-MAX:

A cheaper alternative is to buy some socket strips and cut them. I found them in an ordinary parts shop, I supose you can find them anywhere. It is important to look for the ones that are 1milimeter diameter, not the ones used for chips.

You just need a cutter tool and some patience:

Probably you will destroy at the begining two or three before you learn how to cut the plastic. Voila the needed socket.

detail

The pins are from pin strips cuted in pieces. The strip looks like the socket strip but it has pins. Here is a single pin.

and the pins in opamps

Hope this is usefull.

chrissugar
Christian Mike Sugar
        CMS-LAB

Tekay

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2004, 10:41:16 AM »
Will these pins work? Diameter is 0,71mm and 1mm where they go through the pcb
Thomas "TK" Kristiansson
----------------------------------
"The Sound Is In The Iron"
www.vintagedesign.se  www.tkaudio.se

Jonkan

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2006, 03:30:59 PM »
Lets revive this old thread!

I cant seem to find any of those socket strips in sweden or at farnell.

Does anybody know where i can find something like it?

/J

mikeyB

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2006, 03:44:31 PM »
Yeah, I'm looking at my own version of API - was thinking of prototyping my own 2520's - initially using verostrip (strip board) and hopefully using something like a 24pin 0.6" DIP socket/carrier. Could then use ZIF socket for a comparison preamp - where you could change modules many times without stressing the skt
Also making jig for matching transistors and JFETs ( up to 12 at a time ) so can someone tell me how to post pictures and links of my projects[/img]
making better music!