Some MILL-MAX alternatives

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrissugar

This thread was inspired by a PM received from Duka who asked me about MILL-MAX pins and sockets.
Unfortunately in Europe [especially here in eastern Europe] MILL-MAX is very hard to find so I looked for alternatives.
There is a socket and pin type in the Farnell catalog that is a good equivalent to the MILL-MAX:
01-DSCF9982-R.jpg

02-DSCF9979-R.jpg

A cheaper alternative is to buy some socket strips and cut them. I found them in an ordinary parts shop, I supose you can find them anywhere. It is important to look for the ones that are 1milimeter diameter, not the ones used for chips.

03-DSCF9934-R.jpg

You just need a cutter tool and some patience:

04-DSCF9948-R.jpg

Probably you will destroy at the begining two or three before you learn how to cut the plastic. Voila the needed socket.

05-DSCF9953-R.jpg

detail

06-DSCF9961-R.jpg

The pins are from pin strips cuted in pieces. The strip looks like the socket strip but it has pins. Here is a single pin.

08-DSCF9964-R.jpg

and the pins in opamps

09-DSCF9965-R.jpg

Hope this is usefull.

chrissugar

Lets revive this old thread!

I cant seem to find any of those socket strips in sweden or at farnell.

Does anybody know where i can find something like it?

/J

Yeah, I'm looking at my own version of API - was thinking of prototyping my own 2520's - initially using verostrip (strip board) and hopefully using something like a 24pin 0.6" DIP socket/carrier. Could then use ZIF socket for a comparison preamp - where you could change modules many times without stressing the skt
Also making jig for matching transistors and JFETs ( up to 12 at a time ) so can someone tell me how to post pictures and links of my projects[/img]

Back