A decent steampunk guitar amp?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@TV

I find that any cloth wound cable looks pretty good, vintage tweed style.

@Sahib

The spacing is actually determined by the threading of the brass nut, so, its about 1.5-2.0 mm variations per thread. The choice was mostly made for aesthetic reasons, but also provides a reasonably accurate standard spacing for the strings, as well as the option to have the strings closer or farther apart for different tunings.

Also, I don't play lap steel. ;P However when I "try" to play lap steel I use a Dunlop Lap Dawg slide which is basically just a highly polished chrome bar with a rounded bottom and grooves down each side to hold onto. I will most likely make a slide for the steel though sometime in the future.

@PRR

The typical guitar speaker, on guitar, will not flap even near its maximum power.

-Very true, especially given the size of this setup.

Also in Marketing, you want a big box to justify a high price tag (and to hide your undersized speakers).

-Also very true. And yes the speaker is 8", 8ohm (@15W).

OTOH, if steampunk22 goes to a show where real ballz are needed, he can jack-out to a 2-12" or 8-10" cabinet, leaving the open 8" as decoration or a spot-monitor. Even the little 15G will boogie with a large-area speaker.

-Man, you and I, we think alike.

punk a brass horn

Have thought about this as well. Oddly enough a lot of times its cheaper to buy a busted trombone/trumpet than a used Vitriola or Gramophone horn. Which is too bad, because man those are sweet.

An amazing variety of sounds can be "desirable" on different guitar works

-Are you reading my thoughts or something? :) Part of the appeal of manipulating a small practice amp, is actually the lack of quality of the components. Not that it sounds terrible or anything, but a sound that is slightly less than "full" was not deemed detrimental to this project. Playing MP3 rips of old gospel and early vocal group R&B vinyl from my iPod sounds pretty damn magical with their cracks and hisses and such out of this little bugger.

@sonolink

You can pretty easily make a brass pickguard and etch it to look like this. It was made by Jake Von Slatt though, and he documents the process on his website.

Latest posts

Back