Does OWC Mercury Elite-AL Pro Qx2 work with PT8?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kilmister

Hi all.

Not really groupdiy stuff but I suppose here is couple Pro Tools users around ;)

Ok this is the case. I bought new workhorse Mac a month ago. For some reason I thought it's possible to use software raid with PT8.
Unfortunaly I was wrong and now I have four brand new 2TB hard-drives laying around.
I really prefer to use raid10 stack for recording (I'm quite paranoid when it comes to data) so I started to look if there is any external hardware raid enclosures on market.
After some serious Googling I found two possible products. First is Glyph Forteraid which is promised to work with PT8 by manufacturer.
Second choice is OWC Mercury Elite Pro Qx2 which I prefer due lower price than Glyph and it's possible purchase without hard-drives.
I Googled again and found article Hands On: OWC Mercury Elite-AL Pro Qx2 external RAID which is saying OWC will work.
Cause I don't belive everything I'm reading from internet I sent this same question into DUC without any answer yet so I'm turning to you fellows and hoping someone is using OWC system and can confirm it really works before I spend $400.

Thanks in advance,
Paavo

I have a 2TB drive that has fw 800/400 and usb on it. It's a no name brand...  They do not make drives that big so it's a raid but images as a single drive. Either of the units should work without any issues.  Unless it's something weird like your on a PC or something. Format the raid to image as a single drive and you will be fine. I seriously doubt there is a max drive space you have to have connected to pro tools.

Pro tools will not work with a raid that images as mutiple drives so it's all in the formatting.

FWIW I would go with the glyph. Their after sale customer support is top notch and they do data recovery even on drives that  are not glyphs...

pucho812 said:
I have a 2TB drive that has fw 800/400 and usb on it. It's a no name brand...  They do not make drives that big....
Yes they do. Samsung, Seagate, Western digital all make a 2TB 3.5 drive.

pucho812 said:
I have a 2TB drive that has fw 800/400 and usb on it. It's a no name brand...

If I've understund right it's all up to chipsets. Glypth and OWC use Oxford 936.
Are you able to find out what chipset your noname raid stack keeps inside?

-Paavo

Thanks guys for your answers.

I also got answered in DUC by Digi support person. He told he is using OWCs Guardian Maximus drive where is Oxford936 chips and it's working well so there should not be any problems with Mercury Elite.

-Paavo

Latest posts

Back