A sad goodbye to The Man On The Silver Mountain...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To date myself, 'Mob Rules' was the first record LP in my collection.  RIP. 

emrr said:
To date myself, 'Mob Rules' was the first record LP in my collection.   RIP. 
I saw the Mob Rules tour!! Great show from what I recall  :eek:  Early '80's IIRC. That was like the year after Heaven and Hell. I still listen to both of those records. Heaven and Hell is one of the greatest heavy rock records ever IMHO. It may not rank up there with Back In Back for a reference record for most, but it does for me. They simply kick you in the face from the opening chords. I love how they ride the fader on the kick and push the level on the 1's on Neon Knights.

Both of the records are classics, top to bottom.

FWIW, I listened to the Best of Rainbow last night. All of that stuff was amazing. Gates of Babylon, Long Live R & R, Starstruck and of course Man On The Silver Mountain. Don't get me wrong, I love Jealous Lover, Since You've Been Gone and the rest, but the earlier stuff with Dio has a rawness to it that somehow got polished away. Listen to how "not perfect" the drums and everything are in Man On The Silver Mountain. Today's producers/engineers would have a field day replacing and "fixing" that track. They would ruin it. It is perfect as it is. Raw as can be.

Long Live Rock N Roll  8)

Jeff

I think ritchie got rid of most of the band after that ,
but unreplaceable vibe for sure ,
later ones without Dio almost seem pop
lost the depth

okgb said:
I think ritchie got rid of most of the band after that ,
but unreplaceable vibe for sure ,
later ones without Dio almost seem pop
lost the depth
For sure lost the rawness and the depth.

Don't get me wrong, I really like Graham Bonnet as well. I think his Alcatrazz stuff is great. Steve Vai is a killer as we all know. The album with Yngwie is great as well. I think that was first.

Anyhow, I know Bonnet was the replacement for Dio in Rainbow. He took over lead vocals but did not replace him. I have heard rummer that Bonnet sucks live and cannot hit all the notes he does in the studio. Still a cool voice...

I think Dio brought something to all the groups
he was involved with ,
Bonnett didn't do anything for schenker / MSG
much more straight ahead than Dio
kinda like a cover band [ bonnett ]
Schenker , [ in my top 5 ] always sounded better with UFO

Rocking at what age  ?  good run for Ronnie

Rather than type it out all over again, please forgive this copy-&-paste of one of my favourite memories of Ronnie:

I'll tell a short story which -to me- gives a measure of the class of the man:

It was 1990, and the present line-up of 'Heaven & Hell' had booked in to the studio for a single track (recorded specially for the 'Wayne's World' movie). We had a three-studio setup at the time, and they were in our SSL room. We also had a Neve room and a smaller third 'budget' room, which mainly recorded demos for for local bands just starting out.

At the end of day one, the band wanted to head off to their hotel and get checked in; though they were staying in a place in Burscough, which was 12 miles drive across inevitably twisty English country roads.

I had about a half-hour to spare, so I offered to show them how to get there... then I wanted to head off to spend the evening with the GF.

After a bit of faffing around, the band was ready to leave, and I was running out of time before my GF was going to start complaining about me being late.

We were about to head out the front door -which was by the tape copy room- and I had noticed that there was a young band -maybe 18-20 years old- who were making some cassettes of their day's work in the demo room. They were dressed the 'rock' part, and I'd seen a couple of them shyly nudging each other in a "I TOLD you it was him!!!" sort of way.

I of course -for entirely selfish reasons- wanted to slip out and get going without getting too caught up in back-slapping, so I could get home without having to be nagged to death, so I was gently urging the band towards the door, when Ronnie stopped, turned to me and said "how much of a hurry are you in?"

I told him that I was sort of a little eager to head out, at which point he looked at the young band, then looked back at me, and said "Give me ten minutes at the most... -I promise."

He walked over to the youngsters, who at this point were almost frozen with star-struck shock, smiled warmly at each one of them, shook their hands firmly, asked their names, and asked if he could hear a little of the tunes which they'd just recorded.

The youngsters were utterly thrilled, and turned up the volume a little as the copies were running. -Ronnie went and asked who had written the stuff, what sort of stuff they liked, how often they practiced, what they were hoping for, and told them that he really wished he'd had the access to this sort of recording technology when HE was their age...

After about eight or nine minutes, he said 'listen fellas, I've been keeping these guys waiting, I'm really sorry, but I have to head out of here, but if you're back tomorrow, maybe i could get to hear some more, we'll play pool, hang out, and whatever!"

The youngsters told him that they were only in for that day, but had enjoyed the experience, and that meeting him had iced the cake for them.

As we left the studio, Ronnie said to me: "Sorry for making you a little late, but I just couldn't be the 'rock-star' who walks by them and tries to slip by without giving them some words of encouragement... -I mean, it just breaks my heart when I see other people do that. -I remember when I was trying to get a break, and anyhow... sometimes the young guys have really fresh outlooks and inspire you so much"

-At that point, I felt like such a heel for having hoped that we could have slipped out ten minutes sooner... so I told him that it was quite alright with me... Because it really was.

I know that he used to fly with the crew sometimes and help grab their bags form the luggage carousel...despite their protestations that he should sit down and let THEM help him instead...

But that was Ronnie. A man of immense talent and no unpleasant pretense which I ever encountered.

If it turns out that he's a little warm where he's headed, it's ONLY because the devil has always had first call on all the best tunes.

Keith

Goodnight fader of evil hand \m/ the 80s of Swedish Death Metal Scene wouldnt been the same without you and the symbol of evil.....but what you really meant with the sign is another story.... Sleep well !!

...From the last time I saw Ronnie:

Picture009.jpg

-I didn't get a photo with Ronnie, but Tony obliged... pity about the spot on my face! ;)

Picture012.jpg

Sorry I am late to respond... One of my favorite singers. At least his songs will endure. And he will be immortal in a way.

I saw him once in the 80's at the Spectrum here near Philly and was an AWESOME concert. You can see it on youtube. And was a great night for me seeing such a spectacular concert. I almost didn't go. But so glad I did. I feel for his family and friends. One of the few people I wanted to meet personally and didn't. Greatest respect for him and great sorrow for his family and friends.

John

Latest posts

Back