Your own personal evil bay

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fum

So, I've been working on this somewhat unfullfilling task of impementing new batchbays.

This is DIY, but kind of less glamourous than building cool stuff :?

Here's the first of several bays, just to get the rooms and daw patchable, I still have to do the bays for the outboard gear:

http://www.shinybox.com/diy/patchbay/baymess.jpg

http://www.shinybox.com/diy/patchbay/bay1.jpg

Can't wait to be done, so I can get back to something fun. :grin:

ju

Doing patchbays blows!!!!!!! However, it is EXTREMELY satisfying when complete! Someday I'm going to have to upgrade to TT...and that's going to suck!

Aahh..

The pleasure and the pain!!

...but seriously it'll change the way you work even in a small setup.

Everything will be easier, and sessions run smoother. Hey, you may even have more time for DIY!

:wink:

Mark

I passed signals on this one for the first time last week...it worked,halleluja.

71286651.jpg

71305862.jpg

I dont have pictures with the whole thing soldered......

This is also a kind of DIY.
70473860.jpg

:grin:

Gustav

Yup, this is my upgrade to TT.

If anyone has a need for a crapload of Neutrik NP3C-BAGs, PM me, or these may show up in the Black Market.

Regards

ju

sorry. I have to add this, one side stuffed....

GII has some nice company....

74500750.jpg

Are those the bags only fum ? :grin:

Gustav

[quote author="Gustav"]sorry. I have to add this, one side stuffed....

[/quote]

um.... yaaaaaaa.... that's a part number there son :wink:

NP3C = Neutrik 1/4" TRS connecter
B= Black jacket cover
AG= Silver connector

But then, you knew that, and were just flippin me crap, eh :grin:

[quote author="fum"][quote author="Gustav"]sorry. I have to add this, one side stuffed....

[/quote]

um.... yaaaaaaa.... that's a part number there son :wink:

NP3C = Neutrik 1/4" TRS connecter
B= Black jacket cover
AG= Silver connector

But then, you knew that, and were just flippin me crap, eh :grin:[/quote]

Well..Just thought you had the "big pile of empty neutrik bags" experience recently like me, and found the mountain pretty enough to put up for sale :grin:

gustav

Jon just remember don't wire to the Switch side!!! I do 48 points that way once Once

Doing patchbays blows!!!!!!! :roll:

I can think of 100 things Id rather do than wiring a patchbay.

Have fun, call me when your all done. W'ell lay down some tracks.

:guinness: :wink:

[quote author="wilebee"]Jon just remember don't wire to the Switch side!!! I do 48 points that way once Once[/quote]

Ya, now you tell me!! :evil: Now I have to do it all over!!

Just kidding. These are switchcraft TT bays, and fairly fool proof. So it's a wonder I could get anything done on them at all :grin:

ju

When I did my patch bays I disappeared into my cellar for six weeks. My daughter said, "Mommy, what ever happened to Daddy?" But I went slowly and carefully and they're a pleasure. And I will never, ever do it again.

I like doing patchbays. I wouldn't want to do it every day but a couple of projects a year is nice. It's kind of like knitting; a precision, repetitive, boring task that looks great when it's done. Now that most project studios are digtal based I don't get to do many bays anymore. Ahh Mackie/ADAT -those were the days :green:

My first time was 17 tt bays in a tv produciton truck. Solder type of coarse. When the truck was completely wired, video and all, we discovered a problem. I had reversed the normals :evil: . Boy, that sucked! Foutunately, only about 10 were normaled :cry: .

Oy. Laying out and wiring up patchbays is part of my job. I have spent weeks of my life doing it. I'll say this much: after doing a couple of solder-type bays, you'll be looking to buy punchdown types next time!

Ya, I was looking at QCP(sp correction) punch type, but didn't go there this time. Fear not, this is not the only studio I'll ever do :grin:

I used to do big network closets, everything was punchdown ( except fiber :green: ). Ya think Ida learned...... nah....

Keeps them soldering skills sharp :razz:

ju

Don't get me wrong, I like the firmness and reliability of a soldered connection--and I'm using solder-type bays in my own small home studio--but when you're wiring up a big plant, punchdowns are the only way to go unless you have years to devote to the job :wink:

The ADC QCPs give a good solid connection when punched correctly.

Back