Recording the Beatles Book, EMI RS124 / Altec 436 Mods?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, in all fairness drip provides full email support for the project you buy from him, so it's more like a kit: PCB and support. And I don't think his PCBs will break under transformer weight, has anyone had one in hand? You could do some serious bludgeoning  with that slab of epoxy he calls a PCB.

The way I see it, there are a lot of people here that can do their own p2p build and that's commendable. We, on the other hand, can't and PCBs are a good alternative, especially if they're bundled with support. It's a different market. That said, the 436 he sells has a reworked power supply, attack/release controls, cathode/plate adjustment pots and uses  transformers from the 660 and 175 projects. So, yeah, it's going to be different from a regular 436 imo.

baadc0de said:
The way I see it, there are a lot of people here that can do their own p2p build and that's commendable. We, on the other hand, can't and PCBs are a good alternative, especially if they're bundled with support.

Well, :), best to speak for yourself. I just don't feel like building up a point to point Fairchild, when i could get one from Greg, with Sowter's that sounds ridiculously good? And...it's tough...and layed out well.

I'm certainly not afraid to put together a point to point/turret type project. I think it's way solid to do it that way!

desol said:
Well, :), best to speak for yourself. I just don't feel like building up a point to point Fairchild, when i could get one from Greg, with Sowter's that sounds ridiculously good? And...it's tough...and layed out well.

I'm certainly not afraid to put together a point to point/turret type project. I think it's way solid to do it that way!

Sure, there are also people who would pick the PCB version out of some other set of preferences/benefits. I was just referring to the group I identify with currently and feel represents a large portion of the "PCB+support for quite some money" market.

lol. Here's another link he sent...just for laughs.

http://dripelectronics.com/community/showthread.php?tid=472&pid=3265#pid3265

That is funny; did the model in question know he would reveal her body weight to the public?  She might be pissed. 

I guess we'll never know.

I do know, that I have a good feeling about the sound of this unit. As in, it sounds better (from what i've heard in the samples) than almost any of my other boxes put together, for what it does. Still quite expensive tho at 5k, said and done. We'll see...

edit: actually, probably more in the 3-4k. I guess that's not bad. $1500 for the transformer kit. youch..
Also, waiting to hear his 436 type.

Larrchild's SR-71 Blackbird compressor, $7K delivered.  Makes a lot more sense to me. 

http://2ubes.net/

Hmm. That is nice. I guess it's just a question of whether i need one or two channels. Larry's is actually a better deal assembled at that price. Wonder if he does a 660 too..

"We thought it was time for a microphone preamp. But mic preamps bore us. We assume they bore you also at this point. Crowded market. So we kept reworking a basic push-pull circuit until it wasn’t boring anymore.
More later. Early flight tests are very encouraging.
Also, a mono compressor built to 660 spec is on it’s way!
Board layouts are done. Just have to build ‘er.
"

ooohhhhh

i do like the sound of the SR-71.

i've used 'em & think they are great!

one third the price of a real one.

as far as the 670, i have only used one, but knew it quite a while...
the SR-71 is the first clone that has that big glassy sound like the real one.

I'm into the merc 66 too, way different, but great also, over all tone is more
rough, but awesome.  great on vocals

Back