Strange new car tires

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zayance

GDIY Supporter
White Market Member
New concept from Michelin, pretty nasty weird look, but niice tough, No air:
michelin1.jpg

michelin2t.jpg

michelin3.jpg

michelin4.jpg

The structure reminds me of the ones you see in the Snowboards, and i believe it's molded on it, glued or whatever, looking at the 4th picture, it seem to be ok  :)

Hope that support compound plastic/whatever nanomaterial doesn't get tired like all plastic-derived things do when bent like in picture 3.

tired, pun blatantly intended

Looks like those rims are custom as well.  Notice that the rim spokes line up exactly with the "spokes" of the tire itself.

Very interesting... Less mass is a good thing.

I wonder if it has a different energy usage characteristic.. Regular tires waste energy due to side wall flexing. If those struts are more like springs and return the energy from flexing as the tire rotates they could improve gas mileage..

Pretty impressive materials engineering.

JR

From one of those pics, looks like if u hit a curb at moderate speeds, you can kiss the rim goodbye. I unfortuneatly had a lot of experiece in the curb checking department :'(

I would worry about wheel balance.  What happens when mud or snow or water/ice or whatever gets stuck, is inside the tweel?

Don't park in a mud puddle during the winter..  ;D

JR

PS: I wonder if spring steel instead of plastic struts would return more of the flexing energy for less heating and better gas mileage. Interesting, in a science fair project kind of way...

SSLtech said:
Young at heart!  ;D

Hey Miko, what's your ID on the 'tex? (mine=VWaddict)

Keef

MikoB5.  They finally made Vortex more "today", but they're really slow moving over the old content.  So many useless bookmarks now.

Yeah, for a while there it was as slow as mole-asses, too.

Getting much better though. -I'm bummed that most of the metas and how-to's/FAQs are scrunked... that's increased the 'noise' rather unpleasantly.

I don't envy the admins.

Keith

Back