can this be called passive?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Autophase

I know technically its got a power supply, but thats to drive the opto couplers, a more informed oppinion from you guys would be appreciated.
http://diyaudioprojects.com/Solid/DIY-Lightspeed-Passive-Attenuator/

I think im gonna build one.

AFAIK that's passive....and above all it has: perfect clarity, a widened soundstage, separation of instruments, and seemingly infinite detail  :eek:

Somehow they've managed to squeeze in a little engineer who takes care of remixing the input signal to achieve the above .... 

radiance said:
AFAIK that's passive....and above all it has: perfect clarity, a widened soundstage, separation of instruments, and seemingly infinite detail  :eek:

Somehow they've managed to squeeze in a little engineer who takes care of remixing the input signal to achieve the above .... 
BS

should be:

***YOU CAN SEE THE SOUND***

jdbakker said:
It can be called Shirley if that makes you happy.
Shirley%20Temple.bmp

radiance said:
perfect clarity, a widened soundstage, separation of instruments, and seemingly infinite detail

Sounds like I'd want two of them to put in series for "seemingly infinite detail" squared and then sell all my other gear :)

But now more seriously. Attentuation (100K pot to max) would be to seemingly infinite, meaning silent in this case? Guess not. However, I wonder how the Silonex optos will change the sound. It is "lightspeed", yes, hmm, but optos usually react a bit sloppily, no? At least they tend to do so in compressors. Actually this looks very much like the basic circuitry of an opto compressor but without attack, release, ratio or threshold... (like What compressor, Joecheap, etc.)

Please build it and let us know.

s

Preamplifier is passive because the Light is active.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoRV7PGNMgk

So do any of you experts reccomend it for attenuating the sound from my audio interface to my pream monitors?
Or would I be better off with a classic stereo attenuator full of resistors?

Considering how easy it is to build a conventional attenuator, I can't figure out why you'd be interested in this device? I guess it'll have better resolution than one with modestly priced switches (i.e. 24-pos, as opposed to Shallco or the like with 64 positions). However, what price time for ordering the bits and assembling?

Also, why aren't there THD figures on the link?

Could be interesting for an opto comp though. Any reason why not?

Justin

Latest posts

Back