for f#$%s sake. can someone call INTERNaTIONAL RESCUE

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EKADEK

fixing the underwater raw oil blow out sounds like a a job for the the thunderbirds!
ScottControls-300.jpg
images
TBIRD6.JPG

How far is the leak down? Why didn't they just attach another pipe up to the surface in the first place, to capture/deal with it above water, instead of ****ing around trying to plug it? Waste of time if you ask me...and really burns my ass as a bunch of nature pays the price.

desol said:
How far is the leak down?

It's a mile down. It's not like you can just send divers down. Maybe they can send Ed Harris down in that pressure suit he wore in "The Abyss."

Why didn't they just attach another pipe up to the surface in the first place, to capture/deal with it above water, instead of ****ing around trying to plug it?

Because they need container vessels -- empty oil tankers -- into which to pump the oil as it flows up at the ridiculous rate.

Plus they also needed a way to actually attach a pipe to a well that's a mile down and gushing oil with ridiculous pressure.

Not skimping on the installation of the blowout preventers would've gone a long way towards avoiding this fiasco in the first place.

-a

the thunderbirds would lower (painfully slowly over the whole 2nd half of an episode with dramatic soundtrack... i'll put my hand up for that one) a massive prefabricated bell over the damage. they would spike the edges down with explosive charges. the bell would be connected to a surface floating station that would suck up the oil out of the sealed bell and distribute the oil to waiting tankers.  the oil would be distributed in perpetuity to the inhabitants of the gulf to make up for bp's disgusting blundering. melt the company down completely i say. oil companys are revolting examples of mans incredible greed and shortsightedness.

Andy Peters said:
It's a mile down. It's not like you can just send divers down. Maybe they can send Ed Harris down in that pressure suit he wore in "The Abyss."

Funny that you ask that - I read that Cameron HAS offered some of his "ABYSS" toys to them for free !!

( you know that he is seriously into deep water search gear and NOT just in the films right ? )

Also Kevin Kostner's brother runs a company that extracts oil from sea water and they have some of those machines
also - something to do with centrifugal force .... on a bigger scale.

There was a point during the emergency when proper "drill shutdown" could have happened but for some
reason it didn't.
It's an awful thing and very very serious for the whole US.

MM.

Back