For fun, I bought the "cold heat" solder thingy...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Category 5

$15 at Costco, with 4 AA batteries.

Wow... It does actually work! It isn't really that suitable for DIY projects, but I can't imagine a cooler tool to have with me at gigs and in the field for field repairs.

I can recall recording a gig in stereo, and one of the mic lead wires pulled loose. Despite my buddy Will's (former U of M Audio Electronics Engineering Prof. with Ken. Pohlman) assurance that my quest for a field repair was in vain, I proceede to fashion a makeshift army knife screwdriver solder tool. He laughed while I layed a flat-head screwdriver over the wire and joint, and proceeded to heat the screwdriver with a cigarette lighter.

It wasn't my best solder job, but the lead stuck and I recorded the gig successfully. Will bought my drinks that night just on principle.

Still, the cold heat device would have been a godsend. It really heats in 2 seconds and cools just as quick. It makes perfect solder joints.

...and I thought for sure it was a silly gimmick.

Shane

That's awesome! I saw that infomercial on tv, and thought it had to be BS. That's pretty cool that it actually works. I may just have to pick one up for on the fly repairs in the studio as well. Nice! Thanks for the heads up.

Now if only we had Costco in Wisconsin... If it's at Costco, then it must be at Wal-Mart, no? Isn't Costco the place that sells caskets at some of their stores?

[quote author="tubejay"] Isn't Costco the place that sells caskets at some of their stores?[/quote]

now thas some messed up shit...

hey baby... wanna go out to costco? ive been wanting to take a look at their latest line of caskets... oh by they way perhaps we should pick you up a dildo and some dogfood for the dog while were there..

Just be careful that you keep it far away from silicon. I'm pretty sure that these things work by Joule heating and will fry ESD sensitive devices.

-Chris

My girlfriend bought me one of those several months ago. I was extremely skeptical, but it did work. I keep in my cable/pedal box... but yea it's not suited for DIY projects or heavy/tedious soldering.

[quote author="tubejay"]Yeah, let's hope the dildo isn't for the dog. :grin: :grin:[/quote]

Turns out it is!

http://www.blackout.com/btoy.htm

You need Real Player to enjoy this site, but hours of sore cheeks await!

Shane

Latest posts

Back