what pre to build?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

müx_micro

hello forum!
so, im thinking about building some preams. but whitch ones to choose??? ive been looking at baby animal neutral and ssl 9k and they both seem like good options, but im open to suggestions. id like four channels with phantom and possibly di. my budget is about €400 give or take. it would be fun to build something a little bit more exotic, but i dont want to spend too mutch. what do you think?
/m

thats not a bad idea. but i dont think i could run those on the same psu. i found seventh circle too. they seem good too, but maybe a little on the expensive side. the 2u rack looks nice though! i think i will go with the 9k. and i could get some boards fore bo's di while im at it. is there a good output iron option for the 9k? that might be cool..

All of the projects here are of great quality.  Just pick one, build two channels and you'll be so hooked on diy that your €400 budget will fly out the window.  A year from now you'll have sunk so much time and money into this newfound hobby that you'll look back on this post and laugh.  And all will be good in your world...

You can't take baby steps when you're tumbling down the rabbit hole to DIY-land.  ;)

Turn back now or kiss normalcy goodbye.

I agree with the posts above. All those projects are well documented and excellent starting points. You seem to be decided on transformerless input pres, which does help keep cost down. However, the JLM14 input transformers are relatively inexpensive and could provide you with nice separation from the xformerless channels.

skipwave said:
You can't take baby steps when you're tumbling down the rabbit hole to DIY-land.  ;)

Turn back now or kiss normalcy goodbye.

oh my, we're not in kansas anymnore...

i think ive settled for transformerless input. mostly too keep the €€€ down. the jlm14 looks nice tho.

what i want is four channels that sound clean and good, and i guess quite neutral. something allround that works well on all types of mikes. and id like them to fit in a 1u case. i think i will do a pre with more colour later, possibly a tybe pre.

by the way is the supergreen still around?

mushy said:
All of the projects here are of great quality.  Just pick one, build two channels and you'll be so hooked on diy that your €400 budget will fly out the window.  A year from now you'll have sunk so much time and money into this newfound hobby that you'll look back on this post and laugh.  And all will be good in your world...

This is so true, I only started about 6 months ago, I've already build a GSSL, and during that time I bought a Neumann V475 for my summing box which I intend to do as soon as I move into the new house (4 weeks to go!)
In this time I've also taken my dads AC30 & AC50 and offered to Re cap & re Tube them. I'm in the process of buying bits for a passive attenuator, and I've got a few cheeky bids on some broken mixing desks which I intend to repair as a learning curve foe me.
Oh and when the summing box is done I'm thinking I'll build a Pultec EQ.
Ha ha, so as you can see....... its addictive.

Oh just remebered, in the future I'd quite like to make my own sub..... you'll find most of your time is spent looking at the next project.

i love diy, but im saving the fairchild 670 and alike for my retirement :)

im looking at the different schems now. trying to figure out what i like best. thought i had some 5534 but only had 5532. thought about buying a half way finished project in the bm. practical, but not as fun. back to square one.

i dont really understand why the 9k has unbalanced output. the other ones are balanced "all the way". sure you can use ssm2142 or something but this is not needed in ban or green. ill dig in the ol threds and see what i can find. anyone tried mat12 in a pre yet?

Latest posts

Back