New 500 series project: please vote

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep. That is a Digitran mini-lever switchbank; seems part number 28531-9 ?

Available here: http://www.electronicsurplus.com/Item/2209/

Good pic here: http://cms.orphanaudio.com/index.php?id=116,0,0,1,0,0

Would have to do special order group buy from Digitran for proper lever/freq labelling..  ::)
I did send Digitran a quick email...waiting to hear back.

Supposed to be a very nice eq. More info..

http://cms.orphanaudio.com/index.php?id=86,0,0,1,0,0

Hi guys,

Well, just got off the phone with Richard at Digitran, and he says they would be more than happy to help.
We didn't really discuss setup costs or minimums, (they don't have any NOS...) but, for what it's worth he asked for a specific part number if anyone has one of these they can examine.  It should be on a sticker on the top of the switchbank. Anyone have one?

Otherwise, we'd need the specifics of what's needed in the switchbank...as per schematic.

He chuckled when i told him how old the eq was (he's been there 41 years!)...they've kept all their drawings, so there's a fair number to go through. Most likely have to use a substitute if this goes ahead, but would interesting to see regardless. Best i can do!  :) Darrick.

Nice info and good work Darrick.

I do not have the Sphere eq but for grins I took a close look at one of my APSI 559's. It was a little tricky to remove the PCB and switch-bank assembly from the metal frame without damaging a precious switch lever or something else. There are absolutely no part identification markings on these switches what so ever. All I can tell is that the PCB that is inclusive of the switch is aftermarket (from switch manufacturing) and labeled APSI. I would gather that the actual switch part # was removed when APSI fit their own little PCB's to the switches.

I do know that these are 12 position and labeled -12, -9, -6, -4, -2, 0, +2, +4, +6, +9, +12, +15. The frequencies are on the metal in silkscreen. I'm sure that would help keep the cost down regardless of the eq design choice. This way, 1 switch configuration will handle all bands. You just stack 9 of them. FWIW, 1000 switches would do about 111 eq's.  ;D

With a quick look, the 920 appears to also be 12 position switches. Hmm, maybe this is a time machine.  :D

Jeff

Thanx for the link. Decimal and single pole repeating can give us +/-10db configuration
in 1db steps. What I'd really prefer, is 4-5 bands PASSIVE eq with 2-3 freq's at every band,
with funny make-up and output trunny. Thoughts?
:)

HI,

i have a pair of APSI's. I used to have 3 pairs with overlapping bands ie, non stock frequencies. They belonged to a certain. Mr Jimmy Page. There were a few broken switches. i managed to hunt down he only spare switches on the planet.

Now they are quite good, especially for telephoney vocals and also for guitars, but they don't get used much at all. They sounded much better with the original APSI DOA. These died. When they were replaced with 2520's, they just didn't do the same thing. Alas, they got binned, since 18 years ago, I hadn't heard of reverse engineering . . . Now they have 5534's in, and the 2520's have moved on.

I certainly wouldn't bother building any of these. - and if anyone wants to buy my pair, please make me an offer.

sorry to be a downer, but that's just the way it is . . .

kindest regards,

ANdyP

Igor said:
Thanx for the link. Decimal and single pole repeating can give us +/-10db configuration
in 1db steps. What I'd really prefer, is 4-5 bands PASSIVE eq with 2-3 freq's at every band,
with funny make-up and output trunny. Thoughts?
:)

This sounds like a good idea.....

What is the source for LO-1166 kinda gaped output transformers which can fit into 500 format???

Seems like I'll have a pair of funny compressors in my 51x rack...
51X-F76 is coming...

Latest posts

Back