Preview: AOC51X

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[silent:arts]

proud I was able to finish this PCB layout today:

AOC51X-Preview01.gif

IMG_5993.JPG

51X optical comp by analag !!!  :)

before I order the first prototype PCBs tomorrow I want to include footprints for the Bourns potentiometers Jeff is using in his VPXXX amps. I just love their feel ...
(but I'm still unsure if I will do a custom order, which would be needed)

however, where are the features / options? ;D ;D ;D

simplified schematic

1] transformers are Pikatron or Lundahl
2] jumpers  for the main audio path to select either +/- 24V, or +/-16V if you want to try other DOAs (anlags AHOA1 is best on +/-24V, sidechain is always +/-16V)
3] ribbon connector from the main to the control PCB. with this we can have the potentiometers centered on the front, and are ready for the D-AOC51X (Dual analag optical compressor 51X) - which will use the same audio PCBs but will have stepped Elma controls instead of potentiometers
4] VU buffer for watching the output level, meter zero and tracking potentiometers / switchable meter between output and gain reduction
5] stereo link switch with LED indicator
6] no true hardwire bypass this time. the relay connects the input to the output, leaving the input signal to the compressor

why ???

7] jumper selectable VU meter (working in bypass mode or not)
8] jumper selectable VU meter backlight (to indicate compressor in or not)

will let you know more once the prototype arrived :D

AOC51X-Front-Standard.gif
AOC51X-Front-Bourns.gif

you're making this 51x thing very tempting...very nice.

Question: are these new bought haufe/picatrons you're using or scavenged ones from the many cheap lawo cards around?

radiance said:
Question: are these new bought haufe/picatrons you're using or scavenged ones from the many cheap lawo cards around?
the Pikatrons / Lundahls can be bought new. it is 1:2 for the input and 1:1 for the output.
I asked Pikatron which model they would recommend for this application, and they came up with the RÜP1263M and RÜP1265M. Lundahls are LL1540 and LL1517.

tv said:
Looks really tight.
tube layouts are easier :D
while all my PCBs have been double sided yet it was the first time I needed to use vias.

jsteiger said:
Holger said:
Ohh, this will never end  ;)
Sooner or later I will run out of space...
I think this is only the beginning!... :eek:

we are at the beginning ... :eek:
at the moment I leave the MicPre market to Jeff, but wait until the Jensamp, Georgamp etc are coming :D
the Georgamp will include HiZ plug ins ... 8) 8) 8)

jensenmann said:
will there be an option for back-to-back optos (kubi-mod stylee)?

not needed, there is a rectifier in the CV amp (side chain)

I should re-think the name - it is an analag opto compressor in the 51X form-factor, but (except of the same vactrol) not the same as the original tube D-AOC 8)

name suggestions anyone  ???

Wow...

For someone just getting into DIY (such as myself) this is like being born during the Revolution (French, American, take your pick...).

In two hundred years people will be writing musicals about this stuff.

[silent:arts] said:
jensenmann said:
will there be an option for back-to-back optos (kubi-mod stylee)?

not needed, there is a rectifier in the CV amp (side chain)

I should re-think the name - it is an analag opto compressor in the 51X form-factor, but (except of the same vactrol) not the same as the original tube D-AOC 8)

name suggestions anyone  ???

How about X-AOC?

had some brainstorming with analag, added one resistor today for a better stereo link today.
rerouting was a pain ...

Bourns 51 potentiometers are added, and gives a far more better front panel layout.
I have contacted the german Bourns sales represent for a quote - if it is not too much I will place an order.

Frontpanel is ready in FPD - but have to pick up my daughter now.

will post more recent renderings, a rough frontpanel & a simplified schematic later or tomorrow.
an independent beta tester was found too - proto PCBs ordering time is tomorrow.

stay tuned ;)

with Sifam AL15 meters, my standard Elma knobs and "standard" potentiometers it could look something like this:

AOC51X-Front-Standard.gif

but I prefer the look (and feel) with the Bourns potentiometers:
(and I hope to get a fair quote for them today)

AOC51X-Front-Bourns.gif

just noticed the Bourns is Series 51 - could be a sign ... :D :D :D

Back