The "World Music" capitol of the world?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mbira

Hey guys,
A non-scientific poll:

In your opinion and experience, what is the most supportive city for "World Music"?

My definition of World Music (for this poll) will be any kind of non-indie-rock music that is either heavily influenced by music from a specific ethnic culture or doing a "fusion" type thing (like a lot of those guys that a playing guitar with West-African Kora players, etc)

I ask this because I'm considering a move.  While I think in general, the Austin music scene is very supportive for indie-rock and all the forms of jazz, blues, and Texas swing, etc, I think there is not enough of a scene to properly support a world music band here. 

Our band is one of the "top" world music bands here in town (generally voted #2 or so in the "reader polls") and we have a hard time drawing more than 50-75 people.  The #1 world music band here in town really doesn't draw many more than that, so I don't think it's a lack of talent, but rather a lack of audience.

Thoughts?

I've heard some good (and bad) things about Paris.  Also, New York comes to mind, and maybe London?  Then there is also just selling it all and saying f&^k it and going to Zimbabwe to just play music with the masters...though the wife wouldn't really go for that one (nor the 2 year old...)

But South Africa is appealing...

Joel,

You may already be there as far as the United States are concerned.  The sad case is that world music has a very limited audience and a high percentage of WM fans are not club goers.  A big problem with the Austin marker is the fact that there are soooo damn many bands that the customers are spoiled.  Often times the audiences here are tepid, and come across with an, "impress me" type of attitude whereas most other places are just glad to have the entertainment (Dallas excluded  ::)  ).  Unfortunately, many of the Artistic communities have virtually no live music scene.  Santa Fe comes to mind as an example of a place where people live their art but have very few outlets for display.  There's the old saying, "If you can make it in New Your, you can make it anywhere,"  but New Your is tough and I'd NEVER raise a child there.  My kids are what's kept me in Austin so long because it a good place to raise them.  If left to my own devices, I'd be curled up in a mountain cabin somewhere by now.  I need to get out and see your band soon.  That's been on my to do list for a couple of years now.  I've been to a grand total of 2 shows this year, The Residents & Mother Falcon.

I second Richard, from afar.  I'm doubtful you'd find better in the US, but I may be wrong. 

I loved my visits to Barcelona and Madrid; no idea if there's any support.  Amsterdam appeared the most supportive place of any I've been, but no idea how that translates.  If there's an upside to mainland Europe, it would appear to be the shorter travel distances to other audiences.  There's probably a corresponding downside too. 

If you are interested in Middle Eastern  influence Istanbul is the place to be. In general Western musicians dabbled in Eastern stuff here and there but very rare people came up with something tangible. I can probably say the same thing for Eastern musicians. Mind you David Lindley is special. His music does not particularly contain strong Eastern influence but I love the way he fitted Turkish Saz into his music. I can't listen enough of him. One of my guitar heroes.

However, Turkish musicians really mastered the fusing East and West. You'll meet mind boggling musicians. Not easy to start with as you are dealing with micro tones and rhytms. And you will need time to make a place for yourself in the scene. But at worse you'll come home with more stuff in your heart.

Just google  Erkan Ogur. He is a master fretless guitar player. The band called Laco Tayfa is going  to blow you away, though they broke up. There is also fun guys called Dolapdere Big Gang. Finally listen to Sertab Erener's version of "Music". Madonna eat your heart out.

I play Zimbabwean style music, that's my thing.  So the obvious answer is Zimbabwe, but with the current situation there, I don't feel comfortable raising my daughter there.  

We're looking very closely at Cape Town.  I'm hoping to pick the brain of our two (more?) resident South Africans to hear more about the scene down there.  A few of my friends from Zim have made their way down there as refugees (??) and are pretty active in the music scene there.  

Re: Austin, I pretty much agree that there may be no better place in the US for what we are doing.  We are more aiming to the "Performance Hall" and University venues these days anyway.  I'd be happy not playing in clubs.  It's nice to be done with a gig at 8 PM and make 5-10X what I make at a club gig. :-D

(like a lot of those guys that a playing guitar with West-African Kora players, etc)

I love Kora, one of my favourite African instrument, one friend of me is Nahna scissoko or nana'n'kho, very good player, like his music.

In terms of World music, i don't think there is one supportive city for "World Music", even if my choice would go for Switzerland.
I think the opportunities are still present in the world, now you still have to hustle to get them that's for sure, in Swiss there is still a lot going on in World Music, and there is a lot of festivals that promots that, and people still love to go see shows, especially Summer time Mai to September.
One thing for sure, as soon as you have one "good" manager for finding live shows in that "World Music" Scene, then it doesn't really matter where you are, i think, but of course it's always better to be closer to these in a way, depends of the number of musicians you are.
There is one festival that does love World Music, that i've heard of not long ago it's called "Rain Forest Festival" it's happening in Kuching, Sarawak, Malaysia, and it's seems to be a good one from what i've heard, the organiser Randy Rain-Reusch is a very cool guy, very open to music, if you're interested maybe i can pass him a link of your music so he could hear.
Anyway, i think there is still room for "World Music" in this overcrowded industry, but you'll have to dig a little to find opportunities, that's what i think.

One link to a MP3 website of switzerland just to give you an idea:
http://www.mx3.ch/band/index/56

Back