mixer advice needed!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diyfanatic

Hi guys,

I need to change my mixer (a small yamaha 12 in 1 bus) in my homestudio since I have now a lot more gear and I want to mix some little project outside the box.
I'm on the low buget side since I plan to upgrade my sound card too (will go for a Motu)

so I found a Soundcraft spirit Folio 4 in a perfect shape for 290€, just the headphone pot need to be change.
what I've read so far is that the psu will need some work but it sound seems to be nice
spiritfolio41.jpg

any experience with this?

cheers
Jr.

You won´t find more knobs on any desk for this price. But I hope you´re aware that you´d better not expect it to sound like a Studer. Anyway it will do it´s job. (yes, I have a Folio at work). Any argument will becom relative at that price.

thanks Jens!

I don't expect anything big with it, just clean sound maybe a little warmth when pre are pushed...that's all.
since I have now some real Diy peace of gear (pultec, D-AOC, Gssl, etc...), I just want it to do the job.

I know some of you will scream for what I will write in the next sentence but...

I've seen this Blering€ur (ok not too hard on my head) and was pretty amazes by all the function it offer.
I've seen only good review and comment on some french website.
since I have enough outboard pre, I will not use the B€...
8 mono / 4 stereo / 4 bus / direct output etc...for 444€
could it be a good clean mixer???

d488faeb85d110e14d8b47d5904c6343.jpg

I just realized that the Spirit Folio doesn't have direct output...shit...

I almost bought the Blering€ur today, but was too scared about the quality...
maybe it's good enough for my vintage gear...(akai S950 12bits sampler, vintage synth like Jx-3P, Juno 106)

any idea on another good mixer min 16 inputs / 4 bus / direct output in the same ballpark (300/500€)?
new or used!

I'm all blurry!!!  :-\

ahhhh my eyes burning...are you crazy or what!!!!!  8)
why don't  you try to give me some good advice instead... ::) (I'm kidding, right!)

the thing is, I've never bought some Behringer (exept for a guitar pedal, and it was pretty cheap), I've heard some good of certain product but some really bad for others.
in fact they haven't a good reputation...

but when I see this kind of product, which have everythings I need for my homestudio, I'm pretty amazed since I can't find something with the same option even for a higher price (under 700€).

I'm only musician even if I own now (thanks to all of you) some really good DIY piece of gear.
I think I will try the Behringer , I still can return it if I don't like it...

I haven't used that particular Behringer, but for what it's worth , I think you get a hell of a lot for your money, and they really don't sound too bad at all, especiallyif you stay away from the mic-pre's if you have anything else, and the eq isn't all that. But that notwithstanding, if what you need is loadsa in and outs, and a relatively neutral mixer, you can't go wrong for this kind of money. Heed what Jensenmann says. It will not sound like a studer, but it will give you an enormous amount of "Function".

You decide! butHave a good listen to one first in a shop.

Kindest regards,

ANdyP

diyfanatic said:
I'm pretty amazed since I can't find something with the same option even for a higher price (under 700€).

Even if you did, there would be little point in paying more. Allen Heath mixwizard series is a great example of this. With Behringer you can fully expect it to have a bit flimsy feel and lower quality. Maybe it'll need replacement parts sooner. But the latest comparable mixwizards are exactly double the price, and still have the flimsy low quality feel. I tried one the other day and could not believe how shite the faders were. It's better sounding (arguable of course), but not double the price better sounding.

There is, of course, the more DIY mindset option. Get some advice for old modular types. They will be slightly bigger than the modern single board alternatives (most of the above), but modifications and improvements are much easier. Complete overhaul of even a small mixer is always a huge undertaking so approach with caution. Then again, the rewards are great.

you stay away from the mic-pre's
yep, I've got some green pre, modded TNC 81 and will start some 312 soon so no prob here.
and the eq isn't all that
same here I've got a Diy solidstate Pultec, an aphex stereo "tube" eq, plus Audiox Neumann pcb and and the Gpultec pcb.
plus a lot of nice compressor like DAOC, 1176, Gates solidstatesman, etc...
the more DIY mindset option
trouble is I've got some Diy to finish first, and I'm working on my biggest DIY, a house wich is very time consuming...

thanks guys for the wize advices, I've made up my mind, I will take a shot at the Behringer (oh my God... ::)).
cheers.
Jr.

If you go for the Behringer you might want to pop it open and see if you can upgrade the psu caps...and maybe add some power rails decoupling caps here and there...this might improve things a little...and it's diy right ;)

edit: and while add it post some pics of the process  :D

The best product Behringer has ever released is that £20.00 silver cable tester.

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/product/2258-behringer-cable-tester-ct100.html

Brilliant!  ;D

If you go for the Behringer you might want to pop it open and see if you can upgrade the psu caps...and maybe add some power rails decoupling caps here and there...this might improve things a little...and it's diy right Wink

I saw you coming you *$ù#~@£  ;D

I will try for sure...

Cant really advise you on the mixer, but as for getting a MOTU sound card, all I can say is YES YES YES!
I got the PCIe424 and a 24IO, and I really cant fault it, it is rock solid, very reliable fantastic quality.
And thats in windows 7 64 bit as well.
So yes, MOTU are more than worth the money.

but as for getting a MOTU sound card, all I can say is YES YES YES!
yeah that is the point I don't needed an advice!!!  ::)

will go for the 828!

BTW I bought the xl1600, after a day of thinking and gathering all the info on this kind of mixer, nothing else for my budget.
444€ shipped, will have it in 2 days normally!

cheers.
Jr.

diyfanatic said:
thanks Jens!

I don't expect anything big with it, just clean sound maybe a little warmth when pre are pushed...that's all.
since I have now some real Diy peace of gear (pultec, D-AOC, Gssl, etc...), I just want it to do the job.

I know some of you will scream for what I will write in the next sentence but...

I've seen this Blering€ur (ok not too hard on my head) and was pretty amazes by all the function it offer.
I've seen only good review and comment on some french website.
since I have enough outboard pre, I will not use the B€...
8 mono / 4 stereo / 4 bus / direct output etc...for 444€
could it be a good clean mixer???

d488faeb85d110e14d8b47d5904c6343.jpg

why don't you dare to speak the word Behringer?
aren't we all little behringers here on the forum with all these projects going on  ;D ;D

yeah that's almost true for the copycat side!!!
but I hope we're more on the quality side!

the trouble with Behringer is that they copy a lot of good product but made in china with cheap material...

this particular mixer seems to be "inspired" by Midas venice 160 mixer (2500€)
can you say twins???

503654.jpg

what I found crazy is that all the homestudio mixer in the same price range or higher doesn't have direct output nor insert on the buses, stuff like that even, mackie (wich I found highly overated).
what can you do with only 2 buses when you have some outboard gear?

diyfanatic said:
can you say twins???

503654.jpg

Damn!  :eek:

This is just... baffling. And wrong in so many levels.

I guess behringer wanted to save money and decided they don't need an UI designer either.

Thing is, when creating such a 1:1 copy, isn't that even more time consuming than creating a new layout from scratch?

Latest posts

Back