When the 1073 meets the 500 format…

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JPK

mp573fs-600.jpg

Our new MP573 is almost ready:
- Neve 1073 type microphone preamplifier
- 500 series format
- 0 to 70dB of gain
- Carnhill transformers
- FET DI input, relay switched, signal goes through the input TX.
- Signal/clip LED
- 24V is built from the +/-16V with a linear regulator
- Very easy transformer mounting
- Very easy setup

More details to come in the White Market…

You say 1073 type mic amplifier, what is the difference? I might consider this unit to onlymee's version who's I think is the same as the 1073 but in a 500 series format.

Would you say that this is exactly the same electronics as a 1073 except for the powersupply?

hey jp, are there any differences in sound quality between a stepped greyhill and the three stage gain-switch design in the mp73?
sadly theres no space left for the output attenuator left, which i like a lot...
and any plans on a 51x version? the lucky 511 family got 24v rails anyway...
cheers, alex

I don't really understand. How is it that Neve could never manage to squeeze everything into a tiny form factor and retain the quality spec's they require, yet at least 250 people in the last year have figured out a way around it.

desol said:
I don't really understand. How is it that Neve could never manage to squeeze everything into a tiny form factor and retain the quality spec's they require, yet at least 250 people in the last year have figured out a way around it.

I'm not sure Neve were ever trying to do this. Also, leaving out the EQ section certainly makes it more feasible. Components have also gotten smaller in recent years while retaining the specs of larger ones.

Best, Ben

There are some minor differences with the original 1073.
The schematic will be posted rapidly so you can see by yourself.
I cannot hear a sound difference with the MP73. I believe the Neve sound is very much in the output stage: single ended and gaped transformer.
It will be available as a full kit and the price will be shown in the white market.

Depending on the price differences, that trim knob might be the deal breaker for me... I use a DPA 1073 at the studio and its awesome... and the trim knob helps alot.

I have to agree with Pat to a certain extent. Most real engineers that i've spoken with, Richard Dodd being one...have clearly mentioned large use of the eq during tracking and obviously mixing (ie: whatever works). It's not like these guys (or myself included with my gear) turn off an eq for tracking, and 'save' it till later. The eq is a huge part of the excellence of the 1073 in the chain, and is why the older school folks refer to them AS "EQ's", because that's what they are. So, i understand where Pat is coming from...and yes, for him in his current studio setup/experience, 1290's would be a waste of rack space. Totally.

I'm building 8 EZ1290's(original iron, closest component matches). So far they are souding fantastic...but there is no eq. For this i plan to go into external eq's when tracking. This gives me my own kick ass sounding signal chain. I'm happy.

Geoff tanner and others have clearly stated that the boards in the 1073 were kept seperate because of varying issues at higher gain levels. I'm not sure how much this issue would change with modern components. This was one of the questions i posed to Martin about the EZ...ground plane. It was answered. So, i mean, this is the major reason i question these crammed designs of this particular preamp.

Wtf is anyone doing eating at McD's these days?

The only wasted rack space is empty rack space. Build whatever makes you happy and let pat be grumpy.

I am curious about this design, 2 stage neve, or something different?

I have to differ with you, Desol, buddy. Besides putting down many people's efforts here and in the commercial market, it's obviously not impossible to shrink these things down and patch them together.  Neve separated all the circuits so they could be universal, put together like puzzle pieces as need be. That's why they never made all-in-one circuitboards, besides that there was no market for 500 stuff then.

And today's AMS-Neve, they are more concerned with keeping the Neve image for themselves, making their units look (sound?) like the old units people love, so that they can command a $5000 price tag.

Good job JPK, I'm curious what's the inrush current of this thing?

mitsos said:
I have to differ with you, Desol, buddy. Besides putting down many people's efforts here and in the commercial market, it's obviously not impossible to shrink these things down and patch them together.  Neve separated all the circuits so they could be universal, put together like puzzle pieces as need be. That's why they never made all-in-one circuitboards, besides that there was no market for 500 stuff then.

I'm not your buddy.

Why all that hate guys?
We all have different point of views around here...
I like my 1290s on about everything my good friend hates them  on almost everything..
BTW Pat has a point on the things the "1073" does even when bypassed...the EZ1084 seems to do it...

Thanks.

I gotta say, 1073, sorry 1290  ::) through an 1176 = vocal silk for days. Add an LA-2A before the 1176 in limit mode just to catch the peaks and there is 70% of my rock vocals right there.

Latest posts

Back