When the 1073 meets the 500 format…

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The problem with doing pre & eq seperatly though is that you spend a lot on transformers, no?

I like the standalone pre  a LOT... I dont care if its different to a 'real' 1073.

snipsnip said:
The problem with doing pre & eq seperatly though is that you spend a lot on transformers, no?

this is why i keep suggesting to forward the pre-amped signal to an eq sitting to the right of the micpre in a 500 rack. using the stereo link.  :D

but do they listen to me....  ::)

no, im talking about the 1290.

i feel a bit bad about derailing this guys thread.

i just think if someones got a product, and then its called 'a waste of space' then thats quite rude.

theres a difference between discussing it and just writing it off. Just because its no use for you, doesnt mean thats the same for everyone. Engineering is far from a one size fits all thing.

i think its great to open up the discussion on how the form factor has been achieved etc, but thats totally different form you just saying ''if im having the pre, i want the eq with it''

anyway, to each their own.

im not worked up, or putting words in your mouth.

Anyway, lets not turn this into a petty spat.

Nice looking pre! if I even had a lunchbox I'd like to buy one

Amazing when the word Neve is spoken around here , seems to get everyone worked up for different reasons.
I remember when the 1272 was the big thing around here, now so much progress, its nice to see.

Nice work on the preamp, and those who know me , know that those red knobs are a familiar item. nice
to see them being used here.

Also, Dr Pat is a good lad and get to know him, some day you might have some Pultec questions later down the road ......

I'm the one that started it, so it's my fault. Pat just responded to my intial post.
I'm the really bad man here. Neither Pat or I said anything of any personal nature, involving
any specific forum member. There's better ways of conveying critique, but i'm not the type to pussy foot around and put on a smile for you. I'll leave that to my mom, she's good at that. I'm not.

JPK was preparing to respond, until the whole thing turned into a school yard.
My apologies for being grumpily concerned. If Pat's 'allowed' to be grumpy, so am I.

Besides that, i'm a very good hearted chap, but you wouldn't know that over the internet.

Nice little pre, but i'm still concerned about the tightness at +70 gain. Other pre's also use a seperate board for the higher gain levels, such as Chameleon 7602. So, i must not be crazy when reading it from engineers who worked at Neve and observing other manufacturers following that idea also. Maybe it's not a big concern?

I would've been interested in some of these 500's, possibly, if hadn't started with Martin's boards already.

Cheers JPK. It's your thread, as it was in the beginning.

No high gain stability issues in this tight design. Probably because the max gain is only 70dB instead of 80dB in the 1073. Also, careful layout doesn't hurt.
There isn't really an issue with the 24V as we have 32 volts available. The circuit uses a shifted ground between the input and output transformers.
The circuit is a 2 stages design: BA283NV + BA283AM. 10dB of additional gain is pulled from the output stage.
The board has an insert connector between the pre and the output stage, allowing a future EQ extension.
The stereo link pin was not used because it is only one direction. There is no possible return from the EQ.
The power consumption is around 100mA which is correct. The inrush current peaks at about 500-600mA.

desol said:
I'm the one that started it, so it's my fault. Pat just responded to my intial post.
I'm the really bad man here. Neither Pat or I said anything of any personal nature, involving
any specific forum member. There's better ways of conveying critique, but i'm not the type to pussy foot around and put on a smile for you. I'll leave that to my mom, she's good at that. I'm not.

JPK was preparing to respond, until the whole thing turned into a school yard.
My apologies for being grumpily concerned. If Pat's 'allowed' to be grumpy, so am I.

Besides that, i'm a very good hearted chap, but you wouldn't know that over the internet.

Nice little pre, but i'm still concerned about the tightness at +70 gain. Other pre's also use a seperate board for the higher gain levels, such as Chameleon 7602. So, i must not be crazy when reading it from engineers who worked at Neve and observing other manufacturers following that idea also. Maybe it's not a big concern?

I would've been interested in some of these 500's, possibly, if hadn't started with Martin's boards already.

Cheers JPK. It's your thread, as it was in the beginning.

When was the last time you needed 70 dB of gain ?

JPK said:
No high gain stability issues in this tight design. Probably because the max gain is only 70dB instead of 80dB in the 1073. Also, careful layout doesn't hurt.
There isn't really an issue with the 24V as we have 32 volts available. The circuit uses a shifted ground between the input and output transformers.
The circuit is a 2 stages design: BA283NV + BA283AM. 10dB of additional gain is pulled from the output stage.
The board has an insert connector between the pre and the output stage, allowing a future EQ extension.
The stereo link pin was not used because it is only one direction. There is no possible return from the EQ.
The power consumption is around 100mA which is correct. The inrush current peaks at about 500-600mA.

Hi JPK. Thanks for answering.

This was really my only question with these little guys...that's it, that's all.

Andre: thanks for your question, but i'll refrain from answering as to whether or not i need it, as it is irrelevent to me, ultimately. The point is that the pre remains stable throughout it's intended range (if, when)... and that there aren't any weird surprises. Unless you don't mind weird surprises?

My intent wasn't to pick on JPK...or his design. There are better ways of voicing my concern other than being grumpy about it. Sry guys.

JPK

I emailed you some information

see your email JPK(at)soundskulptor(dot)com

thanks

Ok. Thread was put to rest. Let's leave it that way...and let the actual topic proceed, please.
I would appreciate that, thx, and welcome to the forum.

Back