Top modular tracking machine: Neve 1290 pre + Neve 1084 EQ+ 1176

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erikb1971

I have a dream....

I would like to build a (not the) ultimate traking machine (UTM). The UTM i have in mind consists of:

1 X stereo Neve 1290 pre. I love Mathew's version of Martin's pre unit: http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=20152.msg471360#msg471360 (added trim, DI, Pad and phase)

1x stereo Neve 1084. Bluzzi seems just about ready to start taking pcb orders after finishing the second prototype! http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=25584.msg461108#msg461108

1x stereo 1176. Like the: http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=20058.msg486763#msg486763

The first two units could be in one 3U house, the last one in a seperate 2U house. I would like to be able to use the neves and the 1176 as inserts on my DAW, not just as a recording channel.

AD-DA unit might be interesting to connect to the spdif ou/in of my focusrite saffire 24 dsp soundcard.

Anyone interested to think with me? Anyone comments? Tips? Ideas? Best wishes?

Cheers

Erik

that's a very tall order. good luck with that.

IMO I would s  build them separate. Would make it easier in the long run on all accounts.  so for example one chassis is for the mic pre's, the one for the eq and finally one for the compressors. As for running them as inserts on your daw, I have a client who likes to do that with analog gear, if you don't mind delay compensation for the ad/da process then coolio, it can really do wonders vs a plug in.

tnx for your reply and: Yeps, big one! Oh well it does not hurt to dream big , or does it?...

Iam trying to think of a good reason to build the pre and the eq seperately. IMO (but maybe Iam to biassed) that would be wise if I would use the pre amp as a seperate insert in my DAW from the EQ. I mean when I would use both pre amp and EQ on different channel inserts in my DAW. How often would I want to use my Pre-amp as a single insert in my DAW?

From a design point op view, three seperate units are probably easier made to look cool than the combined pre amp / EQ. And for me that matters, I get inspired by cool looking gear!

hi erik,
i do actually think it would be a good idea to combine the 1290 and the 1084.
with a proper neve 1084 the signal flow is like this during a mic recording:
mic->mic input transformer->BA283->EQ->BA283AM->output transformer
now if you had this in 2 seperate units it would be:
(EZ1290)mic->mic input transformer->BA283->BA283AM->output transformer->(1084 without mic pre)->line input transformer->BA283->EQ->BA283AM->output transformer
that's twice as many transformers and a whole lot more amplification. martin's EZ1290 does actually have a spot where an EQ could be inserted, this is where he has a jumper on the PCB to insert a attenuating trim pot. the signal at this point is at some 'halfway' point of amplification and not balanced, so I would advise not to run it across your studio and through a patchbay, rather keep it in the box. if you build both units complete with all the in and out transformers, you can use them separately during mixdown and combined during recording.

Tnx Brio

That is kind of what I was thinking. The EQ unit Bluzzi is making is actually meant as a add on to Martin's Pre.

so I would advise not to run it across your studio and through a patchbay, rather keep it in the box

with that you mean the seperate EQ section right?

Back