G7 tube not glowing?? HELP!!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chad

I've finished wiring my first of 2 G7s but the Telefunken NOS EF86 refuses to fire up.
Im using the Lundahl 1538XL xformer and Peluso CEK12.
Voltages at the tube end of the the mic PCB are
Cap Front: 0v
Cap Back:36.9v
Cap Center: 1.3v
G: 0v
K: 0v
A:155.8v
Heater +: 6.7v
Heater gnd: 0v

At the XLR ends its
0v
155v
0v
0v
155v
0v

I've spent the last 5 hours checking the continuity from power supply to the tube socket and it all reads perfect. I've tried another tube aswell but no change.

Anyone got any ideas??
Im at a total loss  ???

Chad said:
is it a problem that both tubes are showing NC between the heater pins when I test them out of circuit?

Definitely! No Connection means : No heater, means : No glowing. Tube is dead.

Check your voltages on the tube socket before trying a new one.

Axel

check that you read a resistance on the valve filament.

If you have the filament V at the end of the cable then check you have it at the valve.

From memory the return path is ground because the heaters are d.c check you have the ground connection.

the only place I get continuity is between pins 2 an 7...
So I have permission to blast the person who sold me these "new" tubes???  :mad:

I thought they might have been, i used a box cutter to shave the top layer of dirt off. No dice
I put both my meter probes on the one pin and it was conducting fine all the way along the pin.
Worked out a refund with the seller, he seems as puzzled as I am ???

Cheers everyone

Chad said:
the only place I get continuity is between pins 2 an 7...
So I have permission to blast the person who sold me these "new" tubes???  :mad:

You won't get zero ohms continuity on the heater anyway, expect to read some ohms there V=IR  V= 6.3  I= 0.2A  but with the filament cold you would expect the rsistance to be differnt from when it's hot !

Finally got the new tubes today, plugged them in and...... nothing.

When I checked the heater volatages I got nothing

With the tube out of circuit the heater V reads 7.8v but as soon as I plug in the tube it drops to 0v.

It seems to me there is a short maybe?? I'm still getting 160v and Pattern is fine, its just isolated to the heater V.

Any ideas for this extremely frustrated individual?? ;)

traced the problem back to my PSU, still dont know what was wrong.
Rather than mess around, seeing as though I want to use the mics for an album coming up, I dropped an old JLM Powerstation in to run the heater, major overkill in know but then again only 2 of the rails were functioning on the JLM.

Turned it all on and got a huge hum, but soon fixed it with grounding and housing.

IT WORKS!!
Thanks to everyone who helped and Jakob for the great sounding mic project, will post pics and stuff soon

Chad

Latest posts

Back