Microphones for OSS stereo - low budget

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flintan

I was recording a string quartet in a nice concert room last week and wanted to try the OSS stereo technique. Unfortunately i only had dual diaphragm omnidirectional mics available and it has to be "real" omnidirectional pressure sensitive mics for this.

Any recommendations for cheap mics that could suit for experimenting with a jecklin disc? What about measurement mics. How do they sound?

Some reading on the topic:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jecklin_Disk
http://www.josephson.com/tn5.html

Oktava MK012 has an omni capsule, I dont know if its low budget for you?  ;)

Otherwise Audio-Technica got some cheap omni lavalier-mics.

Check by Thomann: www.thomann.de

Hälsningar,

Anders

I made myself a Jecklin Disk, i use Shure KSM141 (Omni and Cardio switchable) , not very cheap, but cheaper in the US, when dollar was bad, anyway, cool mics and you can still use them for any other things.

zayance said:
I made myself a Jecklin Disk, i use Shure KSM141 (Omni and Cardio switchable) , not very cheap, but cheaper in the US, when dollar was bad, anyway, cool mics and you can still use them for any other things.

i got a steal of a deal on a used pair of ksm141's, i hadn't tried them out beforehand so i was a little tentative.  now that i've put them to work, i'd clear out a lot of my locker before i parted with them- very versatile.  i might actually vote the oktavas over the shures if it's strictly for strings though, i find them to get a little more character out of the 'woody' tones.  darker microphones than the shures as i recall.

uh oh... out comes pseudo-descriptive the GS vocab already.  ;)

Oktava MK-012 seem like a good candidate. Have read some positive reviews of them earlier as well.

with the octavas you have to be careful not to get the chinese fakes. The chinese fakes are not as good. an alternative are MBHO MBNM 410 CL
they are very good !

nicholas

Ok but if buying fr.o.m. a serious company like Thomann you would not risk to get a fake?

MBHO looks interesting! Never heard of them before. One pair omni only mics are twice the price than the oktavas with three different capsules tho.

Jecklin Disk, now that is one to try on my orchestras. ORTF so far has always been the
"stereo field = good" failsafe main micing, but I can imagine a Jecklin disk would make
for more natural room acoustic imaging and not the "underwater audience" you get when
they're in the ORTF's shadow...

flintan said:
Ok but if buying fr.o.m. a serious company like Thomann you would not risk to get a fake?

MBHO looks interesting! Never heard of them before. One pair omni only mics are twice the price than the oktavas with three different capsules tho.

MBHO makes a lot of OEM capsule for very expensive brands (IIRC Manley et al). I did record several times classical brass orchestras with a Jecklin disc and MBHO mikes and was always very pleased with the result.

Latest posts

Back