Redd .47 clone build.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ed rees

Hi,
I've been lurking here for a while. Going to be building one of these preamps eventually, and would like to do it close to the original as possible. I'm pretty good at fabricating metal chassis for my projects, and have built a couple tube guitar amps. This thing looks ridiculously simple in comparison to their circuits.

I have a few internal photos of the .47. If anyone here has access to one, could you please post some good close-ups and maybe a few measurements?

Thanks!

Redd 47

What are you afraid of?

The answer to your question in the language of your choice:

1|\| 7|-|1$ Ph0rU/\/\ 4L0|\|3 \/\/3 |-|4\/3 $3\/3r4L r3DD47 pr0j3(7$, 0Ph \/\/|-|1(|-| 7|-|3 34$13$7 $74r71|\|9 p01|\|7 \/\/0ULD b3 QU4\/470|\|3'$ \/\/3LL d0(U/\/\3|\|73D 0r4|\|93 86.

Oh and,

welcome to the forum

You're right, I'm not doing anything EMI should give a shit about. what was I thinking...

I understand that there are a few PCB builds for this but I enjoy doing stuff point-to-point, and trying to copy vintage gear looks-wise as well as performance. It's just a huge part of the fun of it, for me.

Here are the few pics I have, since they don't come up on google anymore.

REDD47Pair-779845.jpg

Redd47TopView.jpg

Redd47SideView.jpg

The fine gain knob is funny. A standard chicken head knob with beak and comb amputated.

audiox said:
The fine gain knob is funny. A standard chicken head knob with beak and comb amputated.

Yea, I noticed that weird little bugger as well. There is also has some straight knurling around the perimeter. If I can't find something close enough, I'll have to cast it.

I have the component layouts from Rich Gorbutt/synthpunk. From what I can make out in these pics, they're dead on.

ed rees said:
audiox said:

Yea, I noticed that weird little bugger as well. There is also has some straight knurling around the perimeter. If I can't find something close enough, I'll have to cast it.

That looks to me like a cap that screws onto the pot's mounting bush thread to cover a screw-slot pot shaft beneath it. I could be wrong, though.

MagnetoSound said:
ed rees said:
audiox said:

That looks to me like a cap that screws onto the pot's mounting bush thread to cover a screw-slot pot shaft beneath it. I could be wrong, though.

+1

Thanks guys, that makes a lot of sense. Might make it easier to source as well, since it isn't truly a knob.

Hi fellas,
Got some measurements and spent an hour or so on my build today. I'm thinking 4 of these mounted in a 4u rack unit. Power supply on the left. In/out XLRs, pol. reverse, etc... below the preamps.

The 1/4" jack at the bottom is modified to be a bushing for the thumscrew cassette lock. I wouldn't be too surprised if that's how the real ones were made as well.

That Hammerite paint is instant vintage-y goodness in a can! Gonna look real tough once I make up the screen print for it.  ;D

postreddfaceplate.jpg

Kingston said:
Redd 47

What are you afraid of?

The answer to your question in the language of your choice:

1|\| 7|-|1$ Ph0rU/\/\ 4L0|\|3 \/\/3 |-|4\/3 $3\/3r4L r3DD47 pr0j3(7$, 0Ph \/\/|-|1(|-| 7|-|3 34$13$7 $74r71|\|9 p01|\|7 \/\/0ULD b3 QU4\/470|\|3'$ \/\/3LL d0(U/\/\3|\|73D 0r4|\|93 86.

Oh and,

welcome to the forum

next it will be manley and all hell will break loose ;D

I noticed that they were engraved. But couldn't think of an easy way to fill the engraving, over top of the hammered finish.

Might give it a shot though, don't know if my cnc router is that precise! I need to build a smaller one next time for stuff like this..

ed rees said:
I noticed that they were engraved. But couldn't think of an easy way to fill the engraving, over top of the hammered finish.

It's easy enough to brush in black in the engravings and wipe off the excess.

But the one problem is the modern Hammerite is too thick compared with the vintage stuff. The new Hammerite will fill up the engravings.

Can you thin down the Hammerite? Or are you using the rattle spray can version?

Kingston said:

Funny, when I saw that last week it was just hieroglyphics - I couldn't read it. Today it was really easy. Very strange.
???

...in this forum alone we have several redd47 projects of which the easiest starting point would be quavatone's well documented orange 86...

Yeah, those are knob caps, designed to keep nosy fingers off the controls but of course, they never worked that way unless you glued the puppies on and then they had to be smashed off to get at the control.

Back