Did I just fry my amp just messing with a l-pad?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mbira

My lack of thorough understanding is shining through.  If I short out a guitar cable for a while while trying to get the right values for an l-pad, can I f&^k up a Fender Deluxe tube amp?

I seem to have done just that, and not sure if it's just some odd coincidence and maybe a tube just went out?

Are you talking an L-Pad on the speaker on the amp? If so, if you shorted the speaker leads by accident, that could definitely be a problem!

Hi-no it was the Input to the preamplifier section with a guitar cable. I have a string of peizos on an instrument and they are way too hot, so I was trying to pad it down. But I was fiddling with the resistors while the amp was live. I did shirt the wires together, and I wasn't sure if the high impedance combined with fiddling things around could have messed up some of that solidstate crap in there (it's a hotrod deluxe).

I was starting to get a nasty low frequency buzz going and then I pulled the back cover and started poking with a sharpie and did trace the hum and made it go away when fiddling with the speaker cable, so I'm afraid it may be coincidence.

Back